Chapter 32: This can't be happening

"Buckle up because we have a very long drive ahead of us." She buckled up, and he pulled away.

"Okay, now we are on the road, Tris what is going on?"

"One sec, I have to call your mom and let her know I found you. I am on my way to get you, so you aren't in the car with me, so be very quiet."

The phone rang once, and she picked up, "Tristan, did you find her? Yes, I have, I know where she is staying, and I am on my way there. She went to Norwich for a solo trip on the train. I will be there in forty-five minutes, or so then we will make our way to the City. Okay, I will, and you be safe as well, see you soon, bye, Lorelai." He looked over at her and knew she knew something had happened with Robert.

"Okay, baby girl, I need you not to freak out and listen to everything. You spent the weekend on a solo trip to Norwich, while Robert went to New York. I had to find somewhere that would come up right with our drive from Plymouth to New York, and that came up the closest. You left your phone at home, which isn't a lie. I drove up and picked you up, and I am driving you to New York."

"Okay, now tell me what is going on?"

"Rory, when I came out to check my phone, there were so many calls, voicemails, and messages from everyone looking for you. Robert was involved in a bad accident late last night, he has had three surgeries, and he is currently on life support. I told your mom that I knew Robert had gone to the city for work, and you had mentioned taking a solo trip away for the weekend. You had sent me a text with the name of the city, and I was on my way there to find you and would locate you and drive you into the city."

"Robert, what, he's on life support. Why? I can't believe this, Oh my god, Tris, what if he dies?"

"Rory, they couldn't find you they thought you were with him, and your mom was scared. She said the police had been searching the accident scene for you."

"Oh, no, I don't know what to say or do. While we were having an amazing weekend, Robert has been in the hospital fighting for his life." She started crying, and he tried to comfort her the best he could while driving.

"I know, baby and don't even try. Look, I am going to get you there, I am going to stay by your side, I am going to be your friend, and we are going to get through this together."

"Thank you, Tris. I just can't believe this is happening. Yea, nothing can happen between us right now. So, will he survive?"

"I don't know, from what Lorelai said, he isn't breathing on his own and suffered a lot of trauma, his parents are talking about removing his life support but won't do anything until they talk to you. Rory, I am sure they are going to ask your thoughts on that, and I want you to think about it on our drive. Is this something he would be okay with, or would he prefer to be allowed to die? You are the only that would know what he would want."

"Thank you," she sat back and rested her head on the seat as she cried for the man she had loved. She had dreaded having to tell him her choice was Tristan now, because of this, she might not have to, because he might die.

She needed to know how severe his injuries were before she could make a decision. She thought back to a conversation they had once. He said when his time came, he didn't want to be hooked to a machine he wanted to just die.

The last time she saw him, he had talked about how if his time came, he could die a very happy man for the life he had spent with Rory. He thanked her for loving him, they kissed, said I love you, and she waved as Tristan drove away.

She had cried so much that she felt exhausted, and she had fallen asleep. Tristan held her hand, and just as they made their way into the city, he woke her up.