Chapter 23: Time to meet the Grimaldi's

Rory and Robert went down to the lobby. Alex was sitting there listening to their conversation when we entered the room. Lorelai was talking to Sookie about something.

Sookie smiled at Rory and gave her a thumbs up as she eyed her dress. She waved as they started to walk out the door.

"Alright, kiddo, let's go meet your soon-to-be in-laws." They all walked out to Robert's car and got in. Lorelai watched as he helped Rory in. He had unlocked the doors, opened the back door for her, then opened the passenger door for Rory and held her hand as she got inside.

He tucked her dress in, kissed her temple, then shut the door; he walked around and got in. They drove toward Hartford, discussing a guy who came into the Inn while I was beating up Dean.

We pulled up at my parent's house, and Lorelai started choking. "My goodness, Robert, you said it ginormous, but I didn't think it was the size of our entire town. Wow, do I need to remove my shoes when we go in?"

"No, Lorelai, don't act any different than you would anywhere else. You don't need to act like we are at a society party, I promise my parents are laid back."

"Okay, if you say so. Mom and dad always get on me for my posture while we are there. They actually like Alex and the fact he owns his own business and has franchises."

"No, I promise they will not say anything about your posture. They know you own an Inn and that Alex owns a coffee shop business. By the way, Alex, my dad was interested in talking to you about possibly opening some shops in some of our hotels. If you don't want to have that conversation tonight or if you're not interested, just tell him I promise he won't be rude about it. Rory and I were telling him how wonderful your coffee is, and he thought it might be good to add."

"Oh, okay, yea, maybe we can discuss that at another time, not when Lorelai and Rory are with us. We can set up a meeting and discuss that. Tonight is a chance for us to meet your family, and I would hate to take away from that to discuss business."

"Yea, we can do that anytime. I just wanted to warn you, and I will let dad know we will schedule something." He parked the car, "alright, everyone ready to meet my family?" He stepped out and helped Rory out, he opened both doors and then extended his hand to Rory. They walked up the walkway to the door. 

"Mom, just breathe, and please act normal." Robert opened the door and walked in.

"They don't have maids that do that for them?"

"No, mom, we told you they were laid back."  

"Mom, dad, we are here."

"Living room, son." They walked down the hall into a room at the backside of the house. They all walked in. Frank and Cynthia stood up.

"Hello, I am Cynthia Robert's mom. Oh, my, you are beautiful I can see where Rory gets her looks and those beautiful baby blues from." 

"Hi, Cynthia I am Lorelai, Rory's mom, and this is my fiance' Alex Lesman." Cynthia hugged them both as Robert's father stood to the side.  

"I'm Frank Robert's father, it's so nice to finally meet you both, Lorelai and Alex. Please come in and have a seat."

Lorelai and Alex both smiled as they sat down beside Rory and Robert. Robert and Alex were on each end, with the girls in the middle.

"Lorelai, Alex, would either of you like a drink?" Frank asked.

"I would love a gin martini." 

"I would love two fingers of whatever whiskey you have."

"We have Buchanan's scotch whiskey, we have Black velvet, Johnnie Walker black label, Jameson Irish whiskey, I have the Macallan 12, and the Macallan 25. Which would you prefer?"