Chapter 19: Telling our friends the news

Lorelai, Alex, Rory and Robert returned home last week. School starts back in three days, and I will be heading to Hartford after I drop her off.

Finn and Colin assured me they would keep an eye on her. Altho, since our fight, Logan has avoided all of us. 

If traffic is backed up or any issues arise, Finn said he would take her home. She is halfway through her junior year. Only three semesters left, and she will graduate. 

We are going to plan our wedding while she is in school. Hopefully, we can get married just a few months after she graduates.  

 Paris is the new Editor at the yale Daily news. Rory is dreading working for her. She already knows how crazy Paris is without power.

Tonight, we are having pizza for dinner Colin and Finn are joining us so we can announce the engagement. Rory is having Paris and Lane over tomorrow, so she can tell them as well. 

I had wondered why we didn't just do it all at once. She said, for one, Colin and Finn would constantly be hitting on them rather than listening to our news. Then Paris and Lane will only want to talk about wedding plans.

"I wonder what everyone in Stars Hollow is going to say when they find out that not one but both of the Gilmore girls are engaged. You know we have to invite the entire town?"

"They are going to be going crazy and trying to plan both of your weddings. They will probably try to do a double wedding. I am glad Lorelai and Alex want to get married this year."

"Yes, me too. So, when do you want to get married, Robert?"

"I was thinking after you graduate, maybe September or October."

"Okay, that sounds good. Now, are we planning on buying a home in Hartford?"

"Yes, close to my parents, your grandparents, and your mom. Next question, how many children do you want?"

"Well, you come from a big family, my grandparents only had mom, she only had me. I know I am not having as many kids as your parents but maybe two or three. How many do you want?"

"I like odd numbers, so let's plan on three. Plus, we are going to love the trying part. As a matter of fact, we can continue practicing until we are ready to start our family. How long after we get married do you want to wait to start our family?"

"Um, I don't know, maybe a year after we get married or two. I mean, we have been going to school our whole lives since we were five. We are getting married right after I graduate, so I think we should wait at least a year, no more than two, after we get married."

"How do you feel about that?"

"I feel that sounds absolutely perfect. That gives us time to settle into our home and married life. Enjoy the best parts of our marriage before our life becomes all about our kids. Because I know you aren't going to let, a nanny take care of our children."

"You know me so well. Yes, I want to be there with my children to hear their first words and see their first steps. I am going to have to find a job when I graduate."

"You can, but you don't have to, my dad knows the main person at the Hartford times. I'm sure he wouldn't mind speaking to him on your behalf if that is okay with you."

"Really? That would be great. I wouldn't mind a job at the Hartford times."

"Perfect, I will talk to dad. Oh, when can we schedule dinner with them? They have our Christmas presents at their house. Luckily I sent ours for them with Mark."

"Well, not tonight or tomorrow, but we can do it on Sunday."

"You are so perfect, thank you."

"They are your family, baby, and they will be mine in less than two years. Did they know you were going to propose?"