Chapter Thirty-Six: Going Into Town

"Ember, can I come in?" Aether asked as he knocked on her door. It had been a few days since he had caught Sodo drinking and he wasn't sure if he had locked himself in with Ember or if he was isolating himself again. No one had seen him in nearly a week. Ember's voice soon rang out, "Yeah, come on in."

He walked in, looked around, and didn't see Sodo. He decided not to comment on it, assuming she must know he had gone on a bender. He asked, "Aeris wanted to go into town today. I wanted to know if you wanted to come along. Meet him."

Ember looked unsure. Aether just sighed and said, "I think getting out of the church will help you. Getting some fresh air."

She let out a breath and said, "Yeah, okay. Is it just you two?"

"Yeah, why?" Aether asked. She just shook her head in response, "Just wondering."

She slowly got out of bed, "I'll, um, I'll meet you in the common room?"

Aether nodded, "Yeah, sure. We'll wait for you."

He left the room, shutting the door behind him, leaving Ember alone. She sighed and put on a pair of sweats and a sweatshirt, brushing out her hair and throwing it into a bun she just put a neck gaiter on, covering her mouth and nose, pitting her mask on over it. She slowly walked out of her room, stopping in front of Sodo's room. She hadn't seen him in a few days. She wanted to spend some time with him that wasn't just mourning. She hesitantly knocked on the door saying, "Sodo?"

When there wasn't a response She just spoke again, "I haven't seen you in a few days. I'm going into town with Aether. I just wanted to see if you wanted to join us?"

She heard the lock click after a few seconds of silence, the door swinging open, revealing a masked Sodo, "Yeah, let's go."

Sodo, of course, still had no idea Aether had seen him that night. But he also felt that if he didn't go out, they would start to become suspicious, especially if they went into Ember's room and didn't see him. He didn't bother trying to put on normal clothes. He had showered the night before, or more, he sat under the running water drinking, and he had on simple sweats and a Metallica shirt. It was clear that neither cared much for appearances, but they would just brush Sodo's off as not wanting to make an effort if he didn't have to, rather on the depression that was weighing down on him.

They both walked into the common room together. Aether's eyes going wide under his mask. Aeris could feel his mate's hand tighten its grip on his hand, making him ask, "You okay?"

Aether nodded subtly, "Yeah, great."

The quintessence ghoul then spoke out so the other two could hear, "I didn't know you were joining us, Sodo."

"Gotta make sure she stays safe," Sodo responded. Aether just nodded, not wanting to press into him, not in front of their mates. Aether looked at Aeris and said, "Guys, this is my mate, Aeris."

"It's nice to meet you, sorry about my appearance. I'm Ember. This is my mate Sodo," Ember said, holding out her hand to the air ghoul, who timidly took it, shaking her hand, "It's okay. I heard about what happened. I'm sorry."

I'm sorry. Those were always the words being said. It wouldn't do anything. It pissed Sodo of whenever he heard it. Aether could feel the annoyance coming off of the fire ghoul, quickly saying, "Let's get out of here before it gets to be too late."

Sodo responded, "Yeah, Let's go."

Aether started to lead Aeris out of the door, the two fire ghouls following close behind. Sodo kept his hands in the pockets of his sweats while Ember had hers wrapped around herself. Sodo wanted to ask if she was okay, but he already knew the answer. He was sure she was sick of being asked anyway. What surprised him was when he heard her ask him the question, "You okay, Sodo?"