Chapter Twenty-Eight: Alone

"Cirrus, give me back my phone, or so help me, I will smite you myself!" Ember yelled as she chased Cirrus around the common room. Cirrus just giggled, getting far enough away from the fore ghoulette to read out the test to the rest of the ghoulettes who were just watching in amusement, "Sodo, I miss you, when are you coming back? The bed feels so empty. Ember, you sound so lovestruck, come on. Have you gone soft? They've been gone one night!"

"Cirrus!" Ember exclaimed. The ghouls had gone with Copia to another church to do some acoustic sets, trying to find more people for the church, except for Mountain, since drums weren't really needed, and Rain, for obvious reasons. They were gonna be gone for the next week, leaving Ember without her mate for the first time since they were marked. Cumulus told Cirrus, "Just let her talk to her mate, they've never been apart, and she's upset. Stop teasing her."

"It's only a week, Ember, you'll survive without sex for a week," Cirrus told her. Ember just stormed over, taking her phone from the ghoulettes hand, mumbling, "This isn't about the sex."

"What is it about then?" Cirrus asked. Mountain then walked in, saying, "The bond is pretty strong when marked, Cirrus. She's feeling lonely. She's literally missing her other half. In other words, she's touch starved. And, believe me, it's not a pleasant feeling."

Ember looked at Mountain, remembering he wasn't able to be with his mate either. He must be feeling just about as bad as she was. Mountain gave her a small look of sympathy, telling her, "It'll go by quickly. I hope."

"Finishing the sentence with 'I hope' doesn't help much Mount," Ember told him. He just shrugged, "Well, I'm not too sure if it'll get worse for us either. So hopefully it doesn't."

"Yeah," Ember whispered, walking out of the common room, and sending the text that Cirrus had read out to Sodo. Last she had heard, they would be in the middle of a set right now, so Sodo wouldn't have his phone on him right now, but he would check his phone almost immediately after he got off the stage.

She walked into Sodo's room, locking the door behind her as she went straight for his dresser, grabbing a pair of sweats and a shirt from the drawers, stripping off her clothes and replacing them with his before going to lay in his bed, holding his pillow to her chest. His scent of cinnamon flooded her senses, making her smile softly as she closed her eyes, imagining the pillow was her mate.

It wasn't long until her phone lit up with a notification.

I know it's hard, baby, but I'll be home soon enough. I miss you too and the beds here just aren't the same without you.

Ember sighed and typed out a response.

I just wish I could've gone with you. I mean, Swiss didn't have to play the guitar. I could've gone.

Sodo was quick to respond.

Swiss also does the backing vocals, baby. It was just easier for only 3 of us to go. Just a few more days and I'll be back with you.

Ember took a picture of herself in his clothes while she lay on his bed, sending it to him. Before she could send a text, her phone started buzzing with an incoming call. She picked up, Sodo's voice coming through immediately, "You stole my clothes, did you?"

"They smell like you," Ember told him, a small smile on her face from hearing his voice. Sodo chuckled softly, "I'm assuming you're on my bed for that same reason?"

"Possibly," She told him, "Stole your pillow too. It'll have to be your replacement until you get back."

"You have a replacement for me now?" Sodo said, the joking tone clear in his voice. She could almost hear the smile on his face. Ember let out a dramatic sigh, "I mean, I could always go cuddle Rain, but Sunshine kinda has her claim on him. And there's always Mountain, he's pretty lonely too."