Chapter Twenty-Six: The Confrontation

Once Ember and Sodo got back to the church, they both made a beeline for Sister Imperators' office, walking in without knocking. She looked surprised to see Sodo alive and well. Ember didn't miss the look of surprise.

"Yeah, next time you hire a gunman, maybe make sure they know the difference between a guitar and a bass," Ember told her. Sister sputtered, "The water ghoul?"

"Yep. He's alive, thank Satan, but at what cost? He's going to be in pain for months, and won't be able to play. Think about his mate. She must be worried sick. All because of what you've done," Sodo told her, crossing his arms over his chest.

Sister just looked between the two ghouls, Ember taking a step closer, "Stop trying to kill us, it won't work. All of your attempts to separate us or blatantly murder us have failed thus far, why would you keep trying? Right now, I have to hold back from getting rid of you. Mess with me all you want, fine. But you just drug my best friend into your mess. That's something I will never forget. I tried to be respectful towards you, I did. But nothing was good enough. I'm still a dangerous fire ghoul. It wasn't my choice to come here, but, Satan, am I glad I did."

"Not only that, but the fact you started being cold to me since I was turned into a fire ghoul is bullshit. I was scared and confused and I was punished for it. I had no help from anyone because you had ordered Alpha to stay away. He was the only other fire ghoul around and you didn't let him help me get used to my new abilities or help me learn to control them. You hid any book that had any information, yet when I wasn't able to control my abilities, you punished me. That wasn't fair to me," Sodo added. Sister looked at him and said, "You were never meant to be changed."

"Yeah, no one ever is, but here I am," Sodo said, glaring at the woman. Sister glared back at him, telling the two, "Get out of my office. Both of you. I don't ever want to see you back in here again."

The two left, fuming. As soon as they got back to the common room, Swiss told them, "Rain got out of surgery a few minutes ago. They're saying if he holds up well for the next two nights, he'll be back by the end of the week. I say we have a party to celebrate his survival."

"A party?" Sodo asked, dumbfounded. Swiss nodded, "Look, it could've turned out much worse. It's just a few stitches and a bullet removed. Since nothing was actually damaged on the inside, he doesn't have to stay there long. I'd say it's something to celebrate."

"It'll be a good change of pace, I'd say," Ember said, giving in, "A good time in place of having to watch our backs all time time. Everyone will be there, no one will try anything."

Sodo sighed, "Yeah, okay, fine, I guess."

Swiss cheered, "Fuck yeah! Party time!"

"Yeah, keep it mellow, man. Rain probably won't be up for anything too stressful," Sodo told him. Swiss simply rolled his eyes, walking away, talking to himself about all the things that they could do at the party. Sodo looked at Ember and said, "Since you're playing all my parts at tomorrow's ritual, we might as well polish them up. I could use a little brush up on the bass anyway."

Ember nodded and they both walked into the practice room. Ember picked up her guitar, strumming it as she sat down, Sodo picked up a bass and put the strap over his shoulder. Ember let out a small giggle as the bass hung around his thighs, almost to his knees. Too low for him to be able to play it.

"Fucking tall ass Rain," Sodo grumbled as he adjusted the strap to bring the bass up to where he could play it. He soon sat down in front of Ember saying, "Start with Kaisarion."

Ember nodded and started playing the song, Sodo joining on the bass when he was supposed to. He fumbled a few times, letting out curses, telling Ember to start the part over again so he could fix it.