Chapter Eight: The Book

Over the course of the next few days, Sodo and I got closer, hanging out more. Whenever we did hang out, he was always touchy, making little jokes with me. I never could complain. Something just always felt right being with him.

Today I was looking around my room, tearing it apart to try and find the book that everyone wants me to read when Aether came in, "Hey, were going out to the- what are you doing?"

"Looking for the damn book. The ghoul one I'm supposed to read. I lost it and I can't find it. I can't stand nit understanding what's going on with what I'm feeling for Sodo. Everything is just getting so confusing and I can't stand it," I said, frustrated that I couldn't find it. Aether walked over and said, "Ember, I'll help you find it later. We're going out into the city. They're letting us go our for supplies and clothes and stuff. Come with us, see the world outside of just a van, a venue, and the church."

"Who's going?" I asked. Aether told me, "Rain, Sodo, Cirrus, and me. Hopefully you too."

"We have to go in masks?" I asked. He nodded, "Yeah, it's a rule remember."

"Right. Well, I'll go with you. Let me just get dressed," I told him. He nodded and told me, "Meet us in the courtyard. Everyone's waiting on you at this point."

"I'll be quick then," I told him. He nodded and left the room. I quickly changed out of my sweats and sweatshirt, putting on a long sleeve and some jeans along with some combat boots. I made sure my mask was on right before grabbing the small black back pack I had with the allowance I had been given the past few weeks, leaving my room and going out into the courtyard. Like Aether had said, everyone was already waiting.

"Sorry, I tried to be as fast as I could. I'm ready now, let's go," I said. I felt Sodo's eyes burning into me, making me blush under my mask. Cirrus said, "Well, what are we waiting for? Let's go!"

We all piled into the taxi, Aether telling them an address before we were off. Since it was a small taxi, Aether sat in front with Sodo, Cirrus, and Rain in the back. We had a small arguement of who should double up, just to have Cirrus say I should sit on Rain's lap. Sodo was quick to volunteer himself at that point, saying I could sit on his lap. So that's how the seating arrangements ended up. With me on Sodo's lap, his hands on my waist, his touch burning into me.

I could see Cirrus had an evil glint in her eye as she looked at me with every shift in the car. I felt Sodos grip tighten, holding me in place every time I started to move. Once we got to the address Aether had given, we all got out. He paid the driver and let them drive off before saying, "Okay, you guys know the drill."

We all walked into the building, me just trailing behind confused as they started to take off their masks, placing them inside a locker sort of thing while they got rid of their horns and fangs. Rain looked at me and said, "We know the rules, but if we have the option to look like humans, we aren't going to not use it."

"So we're going to break a rule right now?" I asked. Sodo just shrugged, "No one from the church comes to this part of town. You'll be fine."

I sighed, taking off my mask and handing it to Aether, who put it into the locker while I changed into a human glamour. I basically looked the same, just without horns. Aether closed the locker and said, "Meet back here in 3 hours?"

"Sounds good!" Cirrus said, grabbing my arm, "Come on, let's go."

Sodo tried to protest, just to end up being drowned out by Cirrus dragging me out of the building. We basically ran down the street, Cirrus laughing the entire way. Once we got to a street full of shops she said, "I'm so happy I get to be the one to take you shopping. What clothes do you like so far from what you were given?"