046. the window

PIPERS POV, THE BASEMENT.

"who was it? was it billy again?" i say, looking up at finney as i stand up from the mattress.

"yeah. it was. theres another way we can get out of here."

i don't respond, signalling him to continue. he points over at a part of the wall near the floor, that has a crack going through it. "theres a long cable down there, that billy pulled loose."

"and what good does that do us?" i ask.

i follow finney's glance to the barred window in the corner of the basement. i nod at him and walk over to the crack in the floor.

finney puts his hand under a bigger part in the crack, and feels around for the cable.

"have you got it?"

"i think so." he pulls out a part of the cable, then pulls at it, revealing it goes as far as to the end of the hallway.

we walk over to the barred window, "so how do we do this? just throw it up?"

"i guess, and try to get it hooked on."

finney gets a long part of the cable in his hand, and throws it up at the barred window, missing as it fell back down to the floor.

he tried again, repeating the same steps as before, but missing.

"here, let me try." i put my hand out for the cable, as finney hands it to me.

i move into the same place he was stood, and grabs a long part of the cable, throwing it up to the barred window, it almost wrapped around, and then fell.

when i turn to look at finney, i don't see him anywhere.

"finn?"

when he comes back, he has a long carpet in his hand, i move out of the way as he crouches on the floor, lining up the carpet to the window.

"can i have the cable?" he asks, i nod and pass it to him, waiting to see his idea.

he grabs a small part of the cable and pushes it up, looking at the top as he does.

i look at the top of the carpet too, and see it begin to appear from the top, wrapping itself around the bars.

"grab the smaller end." finney says, i do as he asks and grab it, pulling it down slowly so its longer.

finney pulls off the carpet, "you try first. climbing up it." he says, handing me the cable.

i nod, grabbing the two ends of the cable and pulling myself up on the wall, but unfortunately, my shoes don't have grip, so i fell, my body hitting the wall with a thud on the way down.

"shit. are you okay?"

i take a quick breath, "yeah, i'm alright. let me try again."

i pull on the two ends harshly, and grab them again, pulling myself up and trying to reach for the edge of the window, but i fall again, hitting the wall.

finney bites his lip in thought, "pass it here." he says, still looking deep in thought as i pass him the cable. he starts to tie a knot in it.

he pulls at the knot, making sure it's stable as he places a foot on it, "step back, just in case."

i nod and take a few steps back as he told me too, watching his movements closely.

he pulls himself up, holding onto the cable then moving his grip to the edge of the barred window, one hand going in between the bars.

he slowly moves his other hand to grip the bars, and as he does so he uses it as support to grab the small hook that opens the window.

he groans, he moves both hands onto the bars for support, then accidentally pulls it back, the bars coming off its hinges and pushing finney to the floor.