045. paperboy

GWENS POV, BLAKE HOUSE.

i wake up to the sound of my alarm, its quiet so i dont wake up my father. i didn't have a dream at all that night, other than the same dream of bruce.

i get out of bed, and make my bed as i do every morning, then change into some clothes for school. i walk over to my dollhouse and grab the same things as i do every morning.

once i finish i get up and go into the kitchen, as i walk in, i accidentally knock off a beer bottle that i didn't see on the counter - once it met the floor, it smashed into pieces.

shit.

i turn around, and see my father stood in the doorway, hardly able to walk. he has eye bags under his eyes, and when i peek in the living room, beer bottles are scattered everywhere.

he's drunk. shit.

we stare at each other for awhile, until his eyes glance away, and to the floor where the remaining pieces of the beer bottle were scattered.

"why did you break that glass?" he asks, as if i did it on purpose.

"i- i didn't mean too, i promise, i just accidentally knocked it over-"

"oh." he says, and walks closer to me. he seems calmer. calmer than he was.

that was until he raised his hand, and slapped me hard across the face. i held my cheek in pain as my eyes start to water. i can already feel the bruise starting to show.

"why did you break the glass, gwenny?" i see him slowly reach for his belt.

my breathing starts to become rapid, seeing as finney isn't here to yell at him to stop.

guess im going to school hungry again.

i look at him, and make a run for the backdoor. once i get out i slam the door behind me and keep running as fast as i can until i get out of my own homes view.

i stop running, doubling over at how out of breath i am. i slowly lean against a fence and wipe a tear from my cheek. i look behind me, expecting to see piper following behind me with robin, like she does on mornings like this.

every time she would see me running out of the back door, she would run after me, she'd comfort me, wipe my tears - but she's not here to do that now.

i take a deep breath, and stand up, wiping the tears from under my eyes and walking to school.

-

once i get to school, its first period. i'm late. again. but the teachers don't call it out. with "everything going on."

i sit down in my seat, not saying anything to anyone, as when i walk in the room, everyone's heads turn, but when i sit they all turn back to the work.

miss fulgrim spares a glance at me, then looks back at her computer.

i lay my head on the desk, hoping to finally get some sleep here, as it was impossible at home.

FINNEYS POV, THE BASEMENT.

i wake up to the sound of ringing echoing in my ears. i turn around and see piper sleeping, still on a blanket covering the dried blood on the mattress.

i stand up, and walk towards the phone, picking it up and holding it up against my ear.

"you said my name was billy." the boy on the other phone starts of the conversation. i look down at piper, hoping i dont wake her up.