Mistaken Normality

"So Marcus told me about the whole Spirit Magic idea," Cedric told me the next morning as we were walking through the crowded halls of Luna Falls High School.

   "Who hasn't he told?" I sighed. "I thought we were going to keep it a secret?"

   "You are going to keep it a secret." Cedric chuckled. "But he still had to tell me because it was my job to protect you."

"Yeah, great job your doing there Cedric" I thought silently.

   I kept on forgetting that everyone had been sort of assigned a different position in my whole 'learning magic' fiasco. Emmett was for history, Rowena was constellations and faerie related knowledge, Lena was witchcraft, Marcus was combat fighting and Cedric.... well in Cedric's words he was just meant to 'protect me' or annoy me... either one.

  "Well then what do you think about it?" I asked him turning my head to look at the side of his head.

  "Well... it would be predicatible to say it's risky but I have faith in you and dare I say Lena. I'm sure you'll be fine."

  "Can I tell you something?" I asked randomly, stopping in my tracks so Cedric would face me.

  When he noticed I had stopped, in response he turned to look at me with a puzzled yet determined look. "Of course," He said. "What is it?"

  "I was thinking the other night... about what's going to happen when all of this is over. If we're successful and - and we win or whatever... what does that mean? I mean, I can't exactly go back to normal because if I'm being honest... I don't even know what normal is anymore. Do I - do I go back to looking at colleges? Do I go back to being that innocent and clueless girl-next-door? I've only known about this for barely over a week and yet I can barely remember my life before I found out about it. What do we do when this is all over?"

  Cedric was silent for a few minutes, looking me right in the eye and not daring to break eye contact. Out of all the people in this new world that I knew, he was by far the one I trusted most and I felt that the feeling was mutual. And when Cedric was staring at me it suddenly dawned on me that even he didn't know.

  "Do you... do you not know..." I said slowly.

  He finally ducked his head unable to look at me and instead fixed his eyes on the ground. "To be honest... I don't think any of us have really thought about it. The whole Brotherhood and Hesper thing was something we had committed our whole lives to in a way. It's like - have you ever seen Zero Dark Thirty?" He asked me, pausing so I could nod. "Well that Maya girl had dedicated so much of her life to finding Bin Laden, for ten years all that was on her plate was finding him then when she does... at the end of the movie someone asks her where she wants to go on the plane and she can't respond. It's because the idea of completing something, finding someone and fighting them had just been the only thing on their plate - so much so that they never had time to think of what would happen afterwords."

  "Yeah," I nodded taking in every word. "It just feels like this is never going to end."

  "I know," Cedric sighed but then proceeded to offer me a grin. "But it'll end eventually - everything does after all."

 Just then the five minute warning bell rang for first period, and Cedric heaved a heavy sigh before pulling me in for a quick side hug.

  "Enough of this depressing talk," He told me. "Lets go be normal for a change, come on we're going to be late for history."

  We proceeded to hurry down the long halls of the high school, rushing quickly until we finally reached the classroom right as the bell rang.

  History was the class we had with everyone; Lena, Emmett, and Rowena but due to Lena's breakdown last night she had stayed home at Greenmore. However Emmett and Rowena still came and were waiting for me and Cedric at our usual seats located at the back of the classroom.