The Brotherhood

For these last seventeen years of my life I had thought of myself as a relatively nice person. I mean, I would always smile at people if I passed them in the street, I would never speak ill of someone out loud or behind their back, I would always eat my broccoli or brussel sprouts even though I hated them. I used to think that I didn't have a mean bone in my body, that I wasn't capable of hate... but that was before I met Marcus Black. 

I hated him; from his smug smile, to his petrifying glare that could make any three year old cry, to his voice. His abnormally deep and masculine voice. 

It was now Sunday, twenty four  and a bit hours since I finally let the cat out of the bag that I knew about Lena. After the last little dramatic bit about how the prophecy was finally unfolding, Rowena and Emmett came down into the room where Cedric and I were while Marcus disappeared upstairs followed by Lena who I heard mumble that she needed vodka.

But anyways - that's beside the point, I was now seated on the grounds of Greenmore, my feet tangled in the brightly coloured emerald grass as I absentmindedly listened to Rowena babble on about the rules of me learning actual magic. It was a pretty lengthy list if you ask me, I had listened to the first ten minutes of her lecture but then it just dragged on and for the last half hour I had been watching grass grow.

Sounds fun right?

All I really managed to pick up from this little lecture was that I was not allowed to practice magic anywhere but Greenmore, my house, and Cedric's - but only in that special, hidden room.

"You really do need to be careful Bella," Rowena told me as a finishing statement. "Especially after your hallucination the other day, if it weren't for Lena performing mind magic on the whole school then your chances of being discovered would be even greater."

"Where is Lena anyways?" I asked, finally tuning back in. "I thought she was supposed to teach me witch magic - your a faerie aren't you? Isn't there a difference?"

"Well of course there's a difference," Rowena nodded, as if it was just so obvious. "But unfortunately I'm the best you have for today - unless you'd rather have Marcus teaching you."

I wrinkled my nose in disgust, apparently my hatred of Marcus wasn't very well hidden. "You it is, now - what do I do?"

Rowena opened her mouth to begin speaking when she suddenly turned to the house following the sound of a door opening and closing filled both our ears, I followed suit to see Emmett making his way down the back porch steps and towards us bearing enormous books in his arms.

"These are spell books," Rowena informed me just as Emmett dumped them into my arms. "They're full of endless spells both basic and advanced. Since your starting out in magic you will need to recite the spells as your producing them. But as your skill is magic increases soon you won't need to and you can do it right from your mind. The most difficult magic is mind magic. Mind magic is being able to change something in someone else's mind, whether it be a memory, their humanity, or you can even read their mind. Reading their mind is extremely helpful in figuring out who is aware of magic and who isn't. It is possible to block your mind from someone, and in doing so you prove you are aware of the Supernatural World."

I nodded my head slowly, processing all of her rapid information. "So if you were to read my mind right now you couldn't, because I'm aware of magic?"

"Well that and the fact that I'm a faerie," She said. "Only witches, and the odd vampire can read minds. Some vampires can read minds depending on their power, it's really complicated to explain. But in short form, some vampires are born with special gifts like reading minds, changing emotions, manipulation et cetera others aren't."