She's Come Undone

That night I laid awake in one of the empty guest rooms in Greenmore, waiting and praying for sleep to overcome me. No matter how physically and emotionally exhausted I was there was just no way sleep was coming any time soon.

  But the weird thing was, was that I wasn't really thinking of anything. You know how usually when you can't sleep there's either a guy or girl on your mind, or maybe if you were like me the thought of the ever impending death was racing through your head.

  Now, typically those were the reasons why I couldn't sleep but not tonight. Tonight all that was going through my head was how much I freaking wanted to sleep.

  Ironic isn't it?

  I waited another few minutes, my eyes glued to the clock across the room from me that read 12:56. With one last huff, I threw the covers off the bed and left the room coming to the conclusion that there is no way I'll be sleeping tonight.

  I set out downstairs to the kitchen, in desperate need of coffee. The good thing about Greenmore was that while everything else in the house seemed to be changing and moving around the kitchen always remained the same. So, when I wanted coffee I always knew where to find it.

  But when I walked into the kitchen and flicked the lights on, I let out a tiny screech when I spotted Lena planted on one of the counters, a bowl of Coco Puffs in her hand.

  I didn't know what was weirder, the scream that I let out that made me sound way too much like a Banshee or the fact that Lena looked so... normal.

  She was dressed in typical pyjamas; mint green shorts and a baggy black shirt with her blonde hair that was always kept in flawless curls piled up on top of her head in a messy bun. She looked for the first time in her life, normal.

  "Sorry," She said a giggle escaping her lips after I let out a scream. "I didn't mean to scare you."

  "God what are you doing up?" I asked, allowing myself to laugh at my own embarrassment. "It's after midnight."

  "I'm gifted with the powers of the moon," Lena told me, as though it were completely obvious. "I barely sleep at night."

  "Oh," I mumbled. "Right,"

  Lena hopped off the counter and scampered over to the sink to place her now empty cereal bowl in it. "So what are you doing up?" She asked me. "You're supposed to hate the night,"

  I shrugged my small shoulders,"I couldn't sleep."

  Lena nodded her head. "So did you just come down here to stand there or..." She said after a three minute silence past over us.

  "Oh right, I wanted coffee." I said hurrying over to the coffee maker. "I'm giving up on sleep for the night, I figure if I can't sleep then I may as well do something productive, but I still need coffee to wake me up a little bit more."

  "Marcus told me about your Spirit Magic plan," Lena said randomly.

  "Really?" I asked turning my head to look at her over my shoulder. "What... what did you think about it?"

  "Honestly? I think it's risky." Lena admitted. "Look, neither one of us know Cressida - obviously I mean, she's dead. But even though she got us in this mess, that doesn't mean she'll be willing to help. We don't even know what part of The Otherside she's on, whether it's the Shadow World or the Bright World. If it's the Shadow World, we're screwed theres no way she'll help us."

  "Well is there anyway to find out?" I asked. "And what is the Shadow and Bright World? Just a fancy term for heaven and hell?"

  "Kind of," Lena nodded. "When you die, your placed in The Otherside's in between region. In the Inbetween you're basically just living in this world, you see living people and dead people, but the living people don't see you. So, there could be a hundred more people in this room with us right now - theres no way to really know. But anyways, The Inbetween is for people who have passed on but still have business to attend on earth. But when you do feel like you can pass on, The Shadow Lands are for people who have completed sins far worse then killing someone whilst the Bright World is like heaven."