Chapter Twenty-Nine...

Violet charged ahead of everyone. She used the strength of her wings to push back some of the arrows that flew through the air. She dove into the swarm of enemy soldiers cutting them down by the tens in seconds. Allyssa charged forward taking down multiple soldiers. Feronia's numbers were great but they were out matched in skill. Dorgrania was able to push back. Violet continued searching for Orchid when a black spike shot through the air but she dodged just in time.

"The weakling has gotten some skills I see," Orchid spoke from behind her. Violet turned to see Orchid on the back of a black dragon. No doubt a fallen soldier she acquired during the war.

"You're one to talk about weakling. You chose to run away from your family the second the going gets tough," said Violet.

"As if you have any right to say anything to me. You're the one that blindly charged into a castle and destroyed your 'family'."

Violet maintained her composure she didn't let Orchid's words faze her.

"You're coming home," said Violet calmly.

"I have no home. Especially when it comes to you," said Orchid bitterly.

"Then I'll have to kill you." Violet brought her arms into the air and called onto the light. It thickened into a large orb over her head.

"You first, weakling."

Orchid drew back and began calling the shadows of every solid thing around her as they climbed the air. The two shouted as they threw the two orbs of power at each other. The impact shook the earth and clouded the skies. Violet and Orchid were knocked out of the sky by the impact.

Orchid called out her familiars to hold off the soldiers rushing towards her as she rushed towards Violet.

"You sicken me," Orchid said as she called her scythe and charged towards Violet. Violet called her sword and flew forward. They exchanged blows several times. The impact of their power knocked out half of the soldiers on the ground.

"You have improved I'll give you that," said Orchid with a bitter smirk.

"Is it enough for you to come back home?"

"Not even close," Orchid charged in again. The two continued their battle.

Feronia's forces were pushed back to their brink with the assistance of Fera and Allyssa. Violet and Orchid continued their fight even amongst the turmoil. Orchid had her serpent avatar trap Violet's legs and Cain restrict her wings.

"You're getting there, but you're not ready to face me let alone anyone else," Orchid raised her chin with the end of her scythe.

"You're right. But unlike you I don't fight on my own," Violet smiled at her as if she had won.

"You forgot there was four of us in the beginning!" Allyssa shouted as she jabbed at Orchid from behind with her staff. Fera shot an arrow at Orchid's head which she blocked. Violet broke out of their hold.

"Your forces have been pushed back Orchid, surrender." Orchid threw back her head in laughter.

"As if I give a shit about forces. But I will say this has been fun, but you guys aren't ready for what's really coming. Orchid jumped in the air and a strong arm caught her and flung her onto the back of the dragon.

"You're not gonna go running to your one true love?" Orchid asked Daunte with a smile. He turned and glared at her.

"Icarus," Violet called him by his true name. He looked at her blankly.

"REMAINDER TROOPS FALL BACK," Orchid shouted.

"Bye weakling, I'll see you soon," Orchid blew her a kiss. Violet silently watched them fall back. Allyssa nudged her shoulder bringing her mind back.

"At least we know he's alive," said Allyssa.

"His eyes were red Allyssa," said Violet softly. Allyssa gasped in realization.

"The same eyes as Orchid and her familiars."

□ □ □ □

Violet stood on the mountain edge overlooking the army's camp grounds. She needed to calm her rage and keep her mind clear for the upcoming fight. It had been weeks since their last encounter on the battlefield. Her heart ached whenever she remembered the sight of Daunte's hard face and red eyes. Those were not the eyes of the man she cared for. Her grip on the short blade she kept on her waist was firm.

"If you hold that blade any tighter it'll cripple," said Allyssa. She stood next to her looking down at the view filled with moss green tents and armed soldiers scurrying about the green grounds.

"I know it hurts Vi. It's better if you allow yourself to feel and process it rather than squashing your feelings," said Allyssa.

"If I feel it, I'll kill her. Killing her is not an option," replied Violet bitterly. Allyssa frowned.

"This is going to sound offensive and hurtful. Why are you angry about it? He was on the verge of dying anyway." Violet's head snapped to her sister.

"Because if he's with her then it means that she actually killed him. Not Demaryius! My sister killed my-," she paused.

"I would've been fine bearing the responsibility of costing him his life. But thinking that she was the one who truly did it. It's disgusting," she said.

"If you want to kill her, I understand. I'll even help you. I'm not thrilled about what she has done either. Honestly I'd rather her be dead than experience these feelings," said Allyssa darkly.

"Sadly. The part that infuriates more about it is that I'm not actually that mad at her. I'd rather him be by her side like this than him actually being dead. It feels like I'm betraying the guilt I've felt all this time. I'm betraying the conviction I once had to make myself stronger," said Violet.

"We'll just have to stick to the plan, kick her ass and bring her home," smirked Allyssa. Violet chuckled lightly.

The sound of a war horn rung through the air. The Feronian troops were drawing near once again.

"Its time to see her again," muttered Allyssa.

"I'm not strong enough to bring her home yet. But I intend to kick her ass until I am," said Violet firmly.