Chapter Ten...

Violet spent some of her time training with Orchid. The two would spar for hours non-stop in an attempt to further her techniques, without Orchid's wit for war she was defenseless. Violet stuck herself in the family study reading books and going through official documents to get used to the indoor aspect of ruling and to understand the history of the other islands. With Amaryllis gone she had no knowledge of her duties on her own. She headed meetings with Tribe leaders and district leaders to work on her negotiation and interactive skills, something Allyssa was diverse in.

She plopped herself onto her bed in the sanctuary, after another long day she finally had the chance to rest. She felt herself slipping into sleep until footsteps awoken her. She sighed and sat up. She smiled when she saw Daunte walking in through the vines.

"I haven't seen you in quite some time," she said to him. She gestured for him to sit next to her.

"Your father has gone from 'partner to get rid of my uncle' to 'Mr. You'll never be good enough for my daughter'. He's had me by his side 'training' all this time," he said. Violet chuckled.

"Yeah, I should expect that from him. How are you otherwise?" she asked.

"I'm more interested in how you are doing? You leave for the traveling to other lands in two days, are you ready?"

"Everyone has been preparing me for this. I still lack the confidence sadly. I can't shake the feeling that something is going to go wrong. I still don't know so much about myself or anything for that matter," she said. Icarus squeezed her hand gently.

"You will do great, Violet, everyone has faith in you, have faith in yourself," he assured her. He kissed her cheek and hugged her. She loved the warmth he gave her, it was the opposite of the coldness she used to drown herself in to escape reality. They quickly look up to see a stumbling Orchid covered in blood fall to the ground. They rushed to help her up. Icarus laid her on the bed next to Violet's.

"Why is she covered in blood?" asked Daunte. Orchid groaned and gripped her head tightly.

"Its blood from a dark hound, I can smell the difference, she must've been attacked," she said worriedly.

"I'll get a doctor," said Daunte as he rushed out. Orchid grabbed his hand quickly.

"Don't you dare bring anyone here," she growled out. Before dropping back onto the pillows.

"What the hell happened to you?" asked Violet.

Orchid grunted as she sat up. Violet and Daunte were fascinated by the sight of her own shadow thickening and working their tendril- like form over her injuries.

"I was in the White Forest," she started.

"You what?! Orchid that place is forbidden!" shouted Violet.

"I know, now lower your voice and let me finish. I heard something whimpering on the outskirts of the forest and the squirrel shadow I have ran towards it. I followed it and ended up running up on a fight between the dark hounds in the forest. They sniffed me out and attacked me. I cut them down but one caught me off guard and got to me. Another hound, protected me for some reason. It attacked the one that bit my shoulder. The poison on their teeth entered my system but it seems my body can fight off dark hound poison, its what you're seeing my shadow doing now, I'm still recovering. I got out of the forest on the back of the hound that helped me, but he was so injured that... he didn't make it," Orchid explained.

"You didn't do what I think you're saying, right?" asked Violet. Orchid nodded and Violet's eyes widened.

"You claimed a dark hound?! Orchid anything remotely magical done to them is forbidden, you know that they're our most sacred species of Etherion!"

"I couldn't let him die Violet, he helped me get out of there," said Orchid.

Violet's protest was interrupted by Daunte's hand over her mouth.

"She's hurt, she needs rest, both of you. You can talk about it tomorrow, it's already done, just gets some sleep," said Daunte. Daunte tugged Violet to the other side of the dome.

"She knows it's forbidden," muttered Violet. She worried terribly. News of this could cost Orchid her very life. Dark hounds are the first created Etherions. It was said that they were the ones who delivered the seeds of which started the bloodline of Etherions given to them by the Gods. They are so treasured that stepping onto White Forest grounds warranted death or eternal imprisonment as its punishment.

"Orchid wouldn't do something like that without some kind of justification. You know that, just let her recover and you can talk through it tomorrow. You're exhausted Violet and you need to rest before your departure date," said Daunte. Violet sighed in defeat. He had a point and she was tired beyond measure. He kissed her forehead and bid her good night. Violet laid and watched her sister who sat up with a blank expression as if lost in thought. Violet drifted after a few moments.

Violet woke up hours later but Orchid was no where to be found. She took a bath, got dressed and left the sanctuary to find her. She went to the part of the forest where she and Orchid trained. She saw Orchid laying with her eyes closed on the side of a large black hound. They rested peacefully together as if they'd been close their entire lives. When she approached them, the hound's large head that more than towered her height looking her direction let out a small growl. A surprising gesture. Dark hounds rarely showed aggression to other Etherions, in a way all Etherions were partly their children.

Violet knelt to one knee and bowed her head in respect. The growling subsided and the hound yawned, his fur looked as if it absorbed the sun's light, matte and so dark one couldn't see his hair strands unless focused on him. His ears stood tall and pointed, claws that could slice boulders. The hound nudged the sleeping Orchid who stirred awake.

"What is it Gris?" Orchid mumbled as she rubbed her hand through his fur.

"His name is Gris?" asked Violet. Orchid nodded stiffly.

"I've never really seen them in person. He's prettier than I imagined," she said as she stood up.

"Dark hounds are actually white surprisingly. It explains why they stay in that forest," said Orchid.

Violet walked and sat in front of her sister. Gris laid back down with his eyes closed.

"I'm sorry about how I reacted last night, I should've at least checked how you were doing," said Violet. Orchid shrugged.

"I committed a sin no Etherion has, if you can even classify me as an Etherion. But your reaction is understandable," she told Violet.

"You two are rather close," said Violet. Orchid faintly smiled.

"He's a protector and he's different from the others, I can feel it. Gris has his own mind. I'm just keeping him alive and by my side. It's even better that he has chosen to be with me. He's a friend, probably because of how powerful he was before he became my shadow," explained Orchid.

"How's your headaches?" asked Violet.

"They've stopped I haven't gotten anything new for a month now. I guess they've decided to let me figure things out on my own," she replied with a sigh.

"We leave tomorrow," said Orchid with an arched eyebrow as she analyzed Violet's expression.

"You'll be ready as you go, Violet. Don't try too hard, I know you have things missing because we aren't there. I hear you cry yourself to sleep or have a panic attack in the bath after interacting with others for a long day. But you've been trying, don't ever stop. You'll get there," said Orchid. Violet huffed a shaky breath. Orchid always said the right things to her. To help her push forward even a little.