[39] New Face

When you came to, you were greeted by blinding white lights and walls.

You blinked. Feeling crust in your eyes, you sluggishly lifted a metal hand to wipe it away.

The 30 hours have passed.

To think that it took a mere 30 hours to age you forward 3 years.

With heavy limbs, you got into a sitting position and looked around for a clock. You found a digital one on your bedside table.

20:05. I-Island went by military time, meaning it was 8:05 p.m. right now.

You'd been put under at about 13:00, or 1 p.m. yesterday. That meant the 30 hours ended just an hour before you woke up. No wonder you felt so tired.

When you went to rub your eyes again, you finally noticed something was off.

There were...mittens on your hands. They were the kind with a string through the wrist for extra security.

You squinted.

My hands cannot get cold. I do not know why I have been given these.

The mittens were white and had a pink paw print on the palm side. You managed to shimmy them off you.

Now that your hands were free, you were able to throw the blanket off and take a look at your body.

Your left leg, which was missing a foot, had grown a bit longer. But in your tired state, you couldn't tell for sure. Your right thigh had gotten longer as well.

You took a look at your arms.

Detach left arm. Confirm.

Once the indicator on your left arm glowed green, the latch grip loosened and you removed your arm.

What was left of your upper arm definitely grew. Now that you got visual confirmation of your growth, you reattached your arm and looked around for your prosthetic legs.

A few looks around the room told you they weren't here. You couldn't exactly walk without them, so physically searching was out of the question.

You took one last sweep. There was bottled water, a few packets of saltine crackers, and a folded paper note on your bedside table.

You decided to take the water and crackers first.

Now that your slight nausea and dry throat were soothed, you picked up the note.

Hi, [Name].

This is David. I wrote this note because the time we calculated you'd wake up at isn't totally certain. It's possible that the reception party has already passed, or that you've woken up hardly an hour after the 30 hours were up. The human body is strange, after all.

I will be here to check up on you at 20:10. If you are awake by then, we'll get your measurements taken and get you fed and walking again. I also have some other gifts for you that Melissa helped make, so look forward to that.

With love,

David

You blinked.

"With love."

You read that over and over again.

David loves me.

You knew that already, of course. In fact, he'd told you that shortly after you awoke from your coma. But seeing it written out made you feel more assured.