[9] Speak Up

You looked up from your work as you heard Midoriya's front door click shut.

Getting up from your desk, you retrieved a fabric bag and began to collect the various dumbbells he gave you. You'd purchase your own sometime later today.

Your feet carried you out the door and to Midoriya's. You proceeded to click the buzzer. "Hello. This is [L/n] speaking. I have brought Midoriya's dumbbells to return."

"C-coming!" The boy's nervous, stuttery voice traveled through the door. He opened it, giving you a shaky smile. "H-hey, [L/n]!"

For some reason, the boy was extremely jittery. You didn't know this, but coupled with hinting at his secret to Bakugou and hearing about your chilling trial from Uraraka, it made Midoriya's knees knock together.

Gulping, he hesitantly reached out for the bag. His teeth bit down on his lip to muffle the squeak that would've come out when you bridged the gap between his hand and the bag.

His eyes steeled as he muttered with a weak smile, "Thank you."

"You are welcome."

When the door closed, Midoriya berated himself in his head.

He had to remember that you cared about All Might-- that you weren't the heartless person everyone else saw.

He had to remember that you'd insisted he not go outside when he was sick, that he stay inside if he was ill.

Midoriya had to remember you cared.

It was not long after returning the equipment to Midoriya that you visited the sports goods store.

"Oh, [L/n]? Didn't expect to see you here!"

In the dumbbell section, you turned around to see Kirishima walk towards you. He was smiling, still in his school uniform. Meanwhile, you were wearing a light grey long-sleeve, white khaki shorts and white sneakers.

"Thought I'd see what this place has 'ta offer before taking the train." He easily made conversation with you, as if everything in sixth period hadn't happened.

"Hello, Kirishima. I am here to purchase dumbbells." You noticed he didn't carry the same uncertain, uneasy expression everyone else seemed to have.

"Dumbbells?" Kirishima's brow perked up at this. "But your arms..?"

His confusion ended when he read the regimen you handed to him.

Perking up entirely, he crowed, "Ohhh, I see! This is a pretty sweet regimen. Did you write this?"

"I do not think the paper tastes sweet. And no I did not, Midoriya wrote it."

Grinning, Kirishima guffawed. "I meant "sweet" as in like, y'know, nice! Cool!"

You curiously stared at him.

It did take you a bit, but earlier, you'd noticed the cautious way almost everyone treated you.

Kirishima was one of the only ones with the guts to tell you to stop dissecting Kouda. He even touched your shoulder.

"Why are you treating me this way?"

"Huh?" Kirishima's eyes darted up from the red dumbbell he was inspecting.

Immediately understanding your question, he began to smile. "I'd rather get to know you myself than judge ya based on one thing, y'know?"

He chuckled at your innocent, owlish eyes. Your eyes always seemed to be like that.

"I wouldn't wanna get judged like that. If I was.." The redhead whistled softly, shaking his head. "..then I'd be labelled a coward for the rest of my life."