[4] Try Your Hardest

Now amongst the mob, you listened to your teacher.

"Before anything else, one must know what they're capable of." Aizawa cleared the device, erasing your score. "This is a rational metric that will form the basis of your "hero foundation.""

All around you, students began to cheer.

"Wow! Five hundred meters is a lot!"

"That looks so fun!"

"We can really use our Quirks now!? That's the department of heroics for ya!"

Curiosity piqued, you looked around at everyone's faces.

Joy. Relief. Excitement.

Most of the kids were smiling.

You wondered, Is that the joy.. that a Quirk gives?

""This looks fun".. you say?" Aizawa's voice was low and clearly unamused.

His long fingers lightly brushed against his scarf as he looked down. "So you were planning.. to spend your three years here having a good ol' time?

What happened to becoming heroes?"

In your head, you repeated, What happened to becoming heroes?

Melissa said.. it was my wish to become one.

I do not feel desire in regard to that occupation.

What happened.. to becoming a hero?

Aizawa then promptly threatened to expel the student who ranked last in the apprehension test. Immediately, fear, anxiety and regret were instilled into the crowd.

As for you.. you weren't sure what you felt.

You did not feel fear. Not anxiety. Not regret.

All you knew was that you did not want to disappoint Melissa.

"Our freedom means we dispose of students as we please!" Grinning like Totoro but terrifying, Aizawa pushed up his hobo hair. "Welcome.. to the department of heroics!"

Murmurs of disbelief regarding the spontaneous expulsion rippled through the crowd. You kept staring at Aizawa, the expression he made piquing your interest.

That face did not resemble Mr. Might in any way.

Mr. Aizawa and Mr. Might are both heroes..

Heroes seem to have many faces.

At the complaints of unfairness, Aizawa shut everyone up with a good comeback. He brought up incidents that regularly happen all over the world.

To end his reply, he said, "And it's our job as heroes.. to reverse it all.. and restore the balance."

You wondered to yourself, What is a hero?

And why was it my desire to become one?

Of course, you knew what a hero was, but.. you wanted a deeper meaning.

Besides saving people and fighting villains, what did a hero do?

What exactly is a hero?

"If you were counting on a friendly chat at the local DcMonald's after school, that's too bad." Aizawa's tone was ice cold. "From now on, for the next three years all you can expect from U.A. is one hardship after the next."

Giving you all a light, challenging grin, the man rhetorically beckoned to you with a finger. "This is "Plus Ultra." I expect you all to overcome these challenges.. and rise to the top."