[48] Penny Rain

"[Name]! Did you see the news? Uncle has...!"

You closed your eyes. "Yes. Mr. Might has retired."

After getting home at five in the morning, you slept for twenty four hours.

Upon awakening, you'd checked your phone to see fifteen missed calls and a plethora of texts from Melissa.

Now you were calling.

"I had no idea he was weakening all this time. Did you know...?"

You hesitated. "I...was aware of his declining health. But I am not sure as to why he cannot use his Quirk anymore."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Mr. Might did not want you to know."

"But why...? Did Papa know too?"

"It is likely that he did."

For a while, Melissa didn't say anything.

"...Uncle was sick all this time, keeping it to himself all this time. Uncle is...an amazing person."

Your heart grew heavy. "...Yes."

All Might had soldiered on despite his health. He'd defended the class from the Nomu and defeated All For One.

You knew all this time, but all you did was remind him about his health.

Was there anything you could have done? Anything?

You felt regret for the first time.

Melissa audibly took a deep breath. "Is your friend Bakugou okay? I didn't know he'd been kidnapped till now."

"Yes, he is okay. He did not need medical treatment."

"Thank goodness. How are your other classmates doing? I know they care about Uncle too..."

You didn't know that. You hadn't contacted them. They hadn't contacted you either, unaware of both your relationship to All Might and that you'd participated in the rescue. The only person whose reaction you knew about was your green friend.

"I am not sure about my other classmates, but Midoriya was sad."

"Gosh... I hope Midoriya and your classmates all feel better quickly. That's what Uncle would want. You, too, okay? It's okay to cry and be sad, but it weighs down on you if you don't grieve properly."

You put one hand on your chest.

Was your heart the weight that Melissa was talking about?

"Okay."

"And Papa... Papa's gotten better, but finding out about Uncle made him feel faint. He's worried about you too. Please stay safe, now more than ever..." Melissa hesitated. "Uncle...can't protect you anymore."

"Okay. Please tell David not to worry. I will upgrade my training regimen with advice from my classmates. I will work to protect myself."

Melissa didn't respond for a moment.

She chuckled softly. It was so small you almost didn't catch it.

"Yes, yes. I bet it'll be a piece of cake for you. You're super brave and strong."

"I am?"

"Yes! And you're surrounded by good people: your classmates. Treat them well, okay?"