[18] Even Still

"Hey guys! Are you ready!? You've been through hell to get here!"

The flames on each corner of the stage roared to life.

"But now it's time for the one-on-one tournament!" Present Mic grinned eagerly. "You've only got yourself to rely on! Even if you're not a Hero, this saying holds true! Spirit, technique, strength, wisdom and knowledge! Use 'em all and show us your best!"

Your legs gently swung back and forth as you sat next to Sero, a Band-Aid on your left cheek from when you got flattened and a lollipop in your mouth. Your helmet sat snug in your lap.

(E/c) eyes darted left and right, following the two figures that emerged from opposite sides of the stadium.

"The first match! Making a weird face despite his excellent performance, it's Midoriya Izuku! Versus-- sorry, but this guy hasn't really done anything to stand out yet! It's Shinsou Hitoshi from General Studies!"

Midoriya popped his knuckles, an anxious yet stubborn look on his face. Shinsou merely had a hand on his nape.

As Mic explained the rules, Sero turned to you to ask, "That Shinsou guy isn't your friend, is he?"

You shook your head. "No."

You had no doubts about Shinsou. He wasn't pleasant, wasn't agreeable and never gave you affection.

Or was he just not pleasant because you pestered him so much..?

No. You shook your head again. I need to be firm like Yaoyorozu said.

But.. I am meant to help people.

Is there a way to help Shinsou?

""I give up," huh?" Shinsou lowered his hand and tilted his head forward, a dramatic shadow accentuating his glaring eyes. "Get it, Midoriya Izuku? This battle's going to test your strength of will."

Midoriya jolted upon being addressed out of the blue. His first encounter with the boy before him nearly ended in him being brainwashed if not for Ojirou covering his mouth with his tail.

Shinsou sneered, "Like that monkey, babbling about his stupid pride."

Midoriya's eyes blew wide and twitched.

"Readyyy!? START!"

"What kind of dumbass throws away a chance like this?"

Midoriya's jaw slammed open as he charged forward and demanded, "What did you just say!?"

He then froze in his tracks. His eyes were completely blank.

Shinsou rasped, "That's it. I win."

Ojirou gripped his head and cried, "Damn it, Midoriya, I warned you!"

Your head produced a left tilt. "I see now, since I am not the one being brainwashed. Shinsou requires a response to activate his Quirk."

"It took you two weeks to figure that out..?" Sero gave you a weary look.

"Hey, hey, what's wrong? This battle's just beginning. Show us some spirit! Mere seconds into the match, Midoriya's frozen in place!?"

You leaned forward to get a better look at Midoriya.

"Looking confounded, he's not even twitching! Could this be Shinsou's Quirk!?"

Uraraka whimpered, "Deku..!?"

The cameras panned from Midoriya to Shinsou.

"We were barely aware this guy even existed, but now.. he sure is one to keep an eye on!"