Chapter 69

Alpha Hawthorne was sometimes a stupid reckless man, and his son had inherited that from him. However, he also liked to think that he was a decent man and he knew that he had made a few mistakes in his life.

But now he could never forgive himself for what he had caused, and he had no idea how he could fix it. There was nothing he could do to fix it, everything about his problem was hopeless.

Ari had been a member of his pack for most of his life, but now he wasn't anymore. Maybe it was for the best since this place gave him nothing but grief and sorrow, and he had just amplified it by offering him to a known psychopath. The thought of it was unbearable, and he couldn't help but beg his friend to do anything – anything at all – to make sure his son doesn't hurt Ari.

If it was within his power, he would have had Constantine killed.

However, this would only lead to more pointless deaths and Constantine would still be alive. He might be a stupid man, but he wasn't completely hopeless. Five of his men who were together died at his hand, and he effortlessly killed a father and his sons – three alphas – without any issue.

And if there's one thing he realized about his situation, it was that he was never in control at all. He knew that if Constantine wanted to, he could easily take Ari away with him. There was nothing really stopping him from doing so.

Now it made sense to him when Chris told him that Constantine was fond of toying with people. They're being toyed with.

And it seems like time was running out for them by the looks of it. The killer was usually sitting there distractedly until they told him his new objective. He had served well, and it was too good of a situation to be true, and it was. But now there's something disconcerting happening.

Constantine's gaze was unrelenting this time.

"-and I do think this territory would be a nice addition to yours."

Alpha Hawthorne wasn't paying attention to what was being discussed.

"Yet, I do think we should take that one first. They're allies."

The gaze was unwavering.

"Well, what do you think about it? You haven't said a word since we started." When two heads turned his way, he had no choice but to clear his throat and shrug his shoulder pretending like he was listening this whole time. His hairs were sticking up, he was getting goosebumps.

He had to take a sip of water to be able to speak. "I think it's a flawless plan."

"Then it is settled." Eyesore quickly turned to Constantine in his excitement, and beckoned for him to come over as if he was his lackey. After all, he did give the impression to be listening to every command like an obedient dog.

It made them forget that he wasn't only a Dietrich, but someone who they sent to kill other alphas with unmatched boldness and efficiency.

There was a flaw in their plan from the beginning, but they all failed to see it. They thought leashing someone like that would be something they could do. The gains easily blinded them to the glaringly obvious outcome of their decision.

And alpha Hawthorne could now see it clearly as Constantine quietly walked over.

"This time you get four nights, how is that?" Eyesore grinned up at him clasping his hands not really noticing the shift in attitude. "Two alphas, two of their sons. And more territories for us."

The two alphas held up their glasses making them clink together as they did so many times, but when they turned to alpha Hawthorne they wondered why he wasn't sharing their happiness. Instead, he was looking straight at Constantine.