Chapter 66 (M)

Nobody noticed that his ankle was now free, and nobody even looked at him to realize that he was actually a lot happier than before.

It was so embarrassingly difficult to hide, but nobody could look him in the eye as they brought him food and asked him if he needed anything. They all knew that he had spent two nights with his assailant, and they all couldn't stomach the thought so they pretended it just wasn't happening. None of them could stop it, they all were powerless to help him no matter how much they wanted to.

They had to listen to their alpha.

Back then he would think that they didn't care, that he wasn't important enough, but now he could see that it was just what his mother drilled in him to believe.

It made Ari really see that not everyone was bad, and that Cassie is always right. Even if she was once evil and almost drowned Constantine as a kid, she's still right.

Not everyone deserved to die, not everything was bad no matter how hurt he was. If he had taken up Constantine on the offer, then he would have killed people who cared enough about him to be so uncomfortable like this. He was even sure that whoever was cooking his meals didn't place his favorite treats twice in a row by accident.

Everyone was extra attentive, it made him a little bit grateful.

And a little bit remorseful.

"Aurelius, dear." A familiar voice caught his attention making him turn around to see the same nurse standing there smiling at him, but she looked sad when she did so. "I'm here to check on you."

Ari nodded his head at her giving her a smile of his own.

Her smile brightened up at that as she approached him, and she told him to sit down so she could get on with her work. She didn't say anything, but her hands were clearly not as steady as they usually were. Some guilt swirled inside of him at the lies he kept telling, even when it was Constantine who made it seem like he truly was a victim.

And then Eli passed through his mind for just a moment.

"Why these checkups?" He asked just to break this silence and distract himself from his thoughts, and she was probably relived about it, too.

"I asked for permission to do it from the alpha, and he agreed. It's to study your heats and understand more about omegas." She told him as she took his temperature, and he nodded his head not thinking much of it. "It's also a lie. I lied."

Ari frowned. "You lied?"

The nurse laughed nervously as her eye gave a quick glance to the door before she wrote down his temperature. "Um, I did come here to understand your heats more." She told him letting go of his hand and her eyes fell on his shoulder where the mark was. "But I really wanted to see if you're okay."

He answered her too quickly, he couldn't believe he thought about killing the whole pack. "I'm okay."

"This whole thing, I don't agree with it." She continued not bothering to act professional anymore, but she still took out a clipboard from her bag and sighed. "I don't want to do this, but I have to ask you a few questions."

"It's okay." Ari told her wishing he could ease her worries by telling her the truth. "This'll help Eli, too."

The nurse nodded making her curls bob as well. "It will, I hope."

And Ari hoped so, too. There weren't many things he could fix, but he hoped he was taking a few steps in the right direction. Cassie told him he was going about this all wrong, and he decided to listen.

The nurse had asked him her questions, and he did add a few things to make sure that omegas like himself are understood even more, and when they nurse thought she got enough she gave him one last comforting squeeze to his knee.