Chapter 23

Christopher Dietrich sighed at the bleeding body out in his hallway before he entered the room expecting it to be empty.

However, he was surprised to find Constantine sitting there with all of his restrains thrown on the floor with a bored face. Making his way inside, Chris shook his head not knowing what to think of this unusual situation, but the mirth was clear on his face.

"You were supposed to be drugged."

Constantine's eyes moved to a discarded half-empty wine bottle before he shrugged. "I am, you just got the dosage wrong."

Holding up the bottle, Chris was certain it was the same dosage as every time this encounter happened and he set it down again with a sigh. "I believe you're just more resistant to it now."

"That so? Could be."

"One of my men is dead outside, and yet you are still here."

Leaning back on his chair still looking unentertained, Constantine gave him a shrug. "I decided to stay."

Whenever Chris locked Constantine in a room, he often returned to find it empty with whoever guarding it either injured or unconscious. The few rare times Constantine decides to stay were times where he wanted to talk or ask for something. Still, this was the first time he had actually killed someone inside.

Locking him up like this was already known to be a temporary thing, and he only did it to ensure that none of the invited guests would cross paths with Constantine. It could spell disaster.

"Any reason for your decision to stay?"

"Hmm," Constantine pretended to think as he looked up in thought before shaking his head. "Nope, not really."

Chris stared at him for a while scrutinizing the state he was in and saw the stained wine glass on the table tipped over dripping on the floor. It made him guess that something had bumped into the table making the glass fall, but he hesitated to accept that the dead man outside was the reason for it. If there was anything Chris knew, it was that Constantine was efficient.

The man wouldn't have time to struggle before dropping dead, but maybe the drug really did take effect and hindered Constantine's movements.

It was a possibility, but for some reason Constantine gave him a lopsided smile when he noticed him looking at the tipped over glass.

"I bumped into the table." He explained and Chris accepted it because he really didn't have a reason to suspect anything else.

It was a lie, though. Ari was the one who bumped into it, but there was no need for him to know.

"I actually came here to discuss something with you." Chris told him making Constantine's movement halt in interest. Taking it as a sign to continue speaking, he started. "It has come to my attention that you've been killing as you please. We found many dead ferals all over the area."

Constantine looked up at him challengingly. "You want to keep me on a leash?"

"I would if I could, trust me." Chris told him stoically before he sighed picking up the tipped over glass and placing it properly on the table. "Is there a reason for all the killings?"

"Big fan of the whole communication thing. Yes, there is."

"Care to tell me what?"

"You speak like an old man, you know." Constantine drawled with a sudden change in attitude. People might take his sudden playfulness as him being friendly, and those who knew him better might think he is threatening, but Chris knew better. Constantine was restless. He wanted to leave. "You could have just asked why. One word, all it takes. That's how normal people speak."

With a sigh, Chris picked up the bottle again. "Why?"

"It is none of your business."

"My business is making sure you're behaved." Chris filled the glass with drugged wine and pushed it towards Constantine who looked at it with an entertained smile. "I get it. You're bored."

Constantine picked up the glass with a grin. "That, I am."

"Is that why you're stealing the omega from the Hawthorne's pack?"

"No." Constantine scoffed in response bringing the drink up to his lip. "I am keeping him for myself."

"Constantine, stop this madness."

With a shake of his head and a devilish look on his face, Constantine began gulping down the drugged wine until the glass was empty. Normally, people would have lost consciousness by the time they finished drinking, but Constantine brought his glass towards Chris asking for more.

Not really one to deny anyone a drink, Chris poured him more.

"You're not serious about this, are you?" He asked worriedly thinking of how distressed Alec was that day when he was informed about Constantine's plans to steal Eli away, and he hoped that this was just one of Constantine's sick displays of humor.

The glint in Constantine's eyes crushed any hope of that.

"I am very serious. I am gonna do it."

When Constantine says he's doing something, he actually means it. Chris learned that the hard way from experience.

"Is this one of your stupid games?"

"Hey, at least they're fun." Constantine huffed in mock offense making Chris twitch in annoyance. "Also, yes. It is."

"Eli is off limits."

He got a shrug in response. "Okay."

"I am being serious. Why even steal an omega? He has a mate."

Downing the second glass, Constantine placed it back on the table with a dazed look blinking a few times as he swayed in his seat. "Wish this shit would knock me out so I won't have to deal with you." Chris didn't reply watching the drug finally show a few signs that it was working. "I'm just having fun. No need for all that... that..." He gestured with his hand in the air as his speech began to slur.

"Why are you doing this?" Chris asked firmly as Constantine snickered.

His eyes began to close. "Whew, sleepy."

"Constantine."

But it was too late. There was no use in talking anymore, and Constantine wasn't willing to share his reasons as he slumped in his chair. A small annoyed groan escaped Constantine as he sleepily said his last words before he dozed off.

"Fuck off."

And that was that.

Chris Dietrich sat in his place not knowing what to do.

It was up to Alec to make sure that his mate would stay safe from someone so unpredictable.