Chapter 39

It was a lovely day for Cassie.

She just has breakfast outside with Liam who jokingly handed her a rose he bought on his way being his usual goofy sweet self despite them being together for years now. It was probably an unneeded apology for leaving her after their date to go spend a day out of town, but she was more than happy for him and herself to have a day away from each other where they both can do their own thing.

Solitude was indeed enjoyable.

However, when he paid for their meal and left, she found herself all alone at the table wondering what to do and who to see.

She wasn't going to be staying at this town forever, and while she did want to stay for Eli and teach him how to deal with his struggles as an omega, she was actually there for Ari. From the very beginning it was Ari who was on her mind, the sad beautiful boy who confused her.

Something was going on, and she wondered about a few things.

It seems luck hasn't been on her side lately because her target was elusive. There were days where he was nowhere to be found as if he was intentionally avoiding her, and there were days where he'd just disappear into the woods making her lose sight of him. Turns out she was just unlucky until now. The moment she was about to leave her table and take her black sketchbook, was the moment she saw him walk by.

Cassie waved her hand to get his attention and spoke out his name knowing that she didn't need to yell out for him to hear her.

"Aurelius, here please."

His ears picked up her voice and he turned his head towards her locating the direction of the source, and his confused frown turned into a lovely smile as he approached her. A smile that made her sigh at just how fond of it she became, and it was her first time seeing it!

Ari was just all around lovely and she wished he could be happier.

"Enjoying breakfast?" He asked holding a book in his hand and she shook her head in answer.

"Just finished, actually. You missed my mate, Liam. He was here not long ago." She told him standing up from her table taking the sketchbook as she did so. "Where were you heading?"

Ari gestured at his book. "To read."

"In the woods?" It was a correct guess. "I've seen you go there a couple of times."

"It's quieter there." He explained, but it seemed like there was more to it judging by the wishful look he didn't know was on his face. "Would you like to join me?"

"I would love to." Cassie answered with complete honesty and was quick to link their arms trapping him, but Ari seemed to be willing to be trapped by her if his smiles were anything to go by. "How have you been? I haven't seen you after that day in the city."

The idea was idle chatter until their arrival, but it seems like there was something significant enough to make his whole mood drop along with his smile.

"Oh, I have been..." He trailed off looking in the distance as they walked. "There's a lot on my mind."

"Did something happen with- Did anyone find out? I will take full responsibility." She told him taut and worried.

She had planned all of this just so a day with Eli wouldn't blow up in his face, but it seems like it had. This wasn't at all what she wanted. She had felt and seen how ostracized he became among his friends, and unfairly so.

No, this wasn't her plan.

He probably sensed it because he immediately gave her a reassuring smile paired with a chuckled. "Nothing like that, I actually want to thank you for it." His sincerity was already clear in the way he was looking at her, but the hand he placed over their linked arm added to it. "I don't think anyone ever did anything like that to me."