Chapter 49

When he opened his eyes, it almost felt soothing to see the woman dressed in all white that contrasted with her dark skin in front of him.

She smiled down at him in a way that filled him with warmth as she looked at him with large gentle brown eyes and a halo of curls proceeding to help him sit up. "Good to see you awake." She let go of him and whirled back to retrieve a familiar-looking needle in her hand. "We just need to-"

Any sense of ease he felt beforehand snapped away.

Ari recoiled away from her. "No!"

The nurse looked at him with worry before she slowly reached for his hand. "Doctor's orders, Aurelius. You need this. You were in heat." She explained to him gently as if he already didn't know that, but he still shook his head lying feebly to her.

"I am not, I wasn't. I don't need this."

She wasn't stupid, she knew he was trying to pointlessly hide it. Everyone in town knew Eli was supposedly the only omega, and Ari wasn't exactly unknown to her. She had seen him around ever since he was a young child, and she never thought of him as anything but another normal child – and normal meant beta.

Clearly this was a secret he kept for years; everyone heard the news already.

"The blood tests already confirmed it, sweetheart."

With eyes that were slowly welling up with tears, Ari looked down at himself to see that she was telling the truth. There was a bandage when he turned to look at the inside of his elbow, and he tore it away to see the evidence of a blood test being done on him. He couldn't blame anyone for this, they were doing their job.

There was also an IV drip attached to him, its contents were unknown to him.

Already resigned to his fate, Ari leaned back on the bed wiping his eyes before looking down at the needles she was about to inject him with. "I already had two doses of that. I don't think more would do me any good. Especially when I am not in heat."

"Oh." The nurse looked conflicted before nodding her head. Nobody knew how to deal with omegas, Ari observed. "No, you're right. I'll go inform the doctor."

Ari nodded his head watching her pull away the curtains from around his bed, smiling at the person behind them.

"He should be discharged soon."

The nurse got a pleasant smile and a grateful nod from the woman sitting cross-legged on the hospital chair as she turned her head to look at Ari. "Thank you."

When Ari met Constantine for the first time, he remembered seeing a head rolling beside him and a group of mangled bodies surrounding him. It was hard not to focus on the prominent smell of blood, and the fact that the cause of all the bodies was approaching him, attracted to him.

Even then, even when knowing what Constantine was to him in that moment, he felt so afraid he could barely speak. There was still a chance that he would have been killed and mangled, too.

That's probably why he wasn't as afraid as he was now. Because there was a chance, no matter how slim, that he would be spared by Constantine – and he was.

But now Ari was sitting on a hospital bed with no dead bodies around him and only the smell of disinfected medical things filling his nose. There were no incoming threats, no cold-blooded killer approaching him, it was just him and his mother all alone in a hospital room.

And Ari had never been more afraid. More frozen.

They have stayed like this in tense silence until the nurse came back with a cheerful tone telling him that he was finally discharged. She took off the IV drip from his hand and wheeled it off with his mother retaining her cold silence the whole time.