Chapter 58

Everyone was at the funeral, even Cassie.

There were grim faces everywhere as the casket was lowered, but if anybody was observant enough, they'd realize that only Rowan and Cassie didn't show any ounce of sadness. They stood at the back with straight faces feeling no emotion towards the dead woman. Both of them wondering what to think.

Everyone heard how she died, drowned. Murdered.

But nobody knew how she lived, abusive. Horrid.

Some expressed their sadness, and some were just afraid of how people kept turning up dead in this town as they watched yet another victim of the unknown threat. Clearly there was someone roaming around killing people, but nobody knew anything about, well, anything. They were all clueless, and they all had hopes that their alpha would fix this somehow.

They didn't know that their alpha was fumbling to search of their missing past-member, and fixing the strained relations he worked years to maintain with the other packs. Losing their future alphas was not something they took lightly.

Unbeknownst to them, their pack is slowly falling into ruin.

"I can't watch this." Cassie said walking away because she was the only one who really knew.

That woman might have not been deserving of any sympathy, but she was still killed by Constantine. Should she feel happy or worried that what led to her death was very obviously Ari himself?

It made her wonder if she knew the sad boy as well as she thought she had. It was not hard to believe that some of it was Constantine's influence, but there's this worrisome apathy that showed itself in Ari. Apathy that she didn't think much of until she found out who had caught his heart.

The worst possible mate.

There was no mistaking it, the fondness he displayed when he caught sight of the knife – that she knew now wasn't a hunter's – and the way he told her he had wanted it when she found his mark.

Ari was undeniably in love whether he knew it or not.

Cassie even remembered on the day she met him how absolutely shaken he was fumbling and stuttering with every word as he reassured her that he was fine. That it was just the cold that made him tremble. She should have realized that he was previously affected by Alec's pheromones when he, himself, was affected by Eli.

An unfortunate chain of reactions, and it happened when she was absent for just a few minutes too long. She was already late by then. Ari had already wandered off to the worst possible person he could wander off to.

Did it have to be Constantine, though?

No, she could not question the moon and its choices, but she still couldn't stomach the thought that Ari was the indirect cause of his mother's death.

Even so, she hoped that woman rotted in hell.

Cassie found herself a bench to sit on with nobody around, and she couldn't help but think how everything seemed so grim and gray despite how lovely the town appeared. She was unaware of the slow poison Ari had left the town with, and it was slowly seeping all over it hurting the town the way it had hurt him – and only sparing those who didn't.

Strangely, a stupidly wishful feeling appeared in her heart as she vividly imagined Ari taking a seat right next to her and offering one of his beautifully captivating smiles.

If only.

To her surprise, someone did sit next to her, but it was Eli dressed in black just like herself and looking like he had spent many days crying over something other than this wretched funeral. The disappointment that she felt about it not being Ari was immeasurable, but she still had some concern left for the young omega beside her.