Chapter 57

The glass in his hand was refilled as he sighed heavily in his chair.

Chris had heard the news, the catastrophe. It was all anyone could talk about and he wondered just how many glasses of wine will it take for him to pass out and forget about it all. Too bad this was only his second before the source of his headache appeared and was thrown on the chair across from him.

Constantine sat upright with both of his hands shackled behind his back, and Chris could hear the metal as his son shifted in his place. Today he didn't want to contain his son, he just wanted to talk – which is why not many restraints were used – and he knew this was the only way they could, otherwise it'd be too boring for Constantine for him to bother with coming.

Asking Constantine to come over himself so they could talk like normal people? Absurd.

"Thank you." He nodded his head at the pack members who were only following his instructions, and they all nodded their heads and left them. All of them used to this.

Chris took a sip of his drink glaring at the entertained grin his son was giving him.

"You could have just asked. I would have come quietly."

They both knew it was a lie, and Chris let out a sarcastic laugh.

"You deserve to be wheeled in like the animal that you are."

Unbothered by his words, Constantine shrugged still grinning. "You're more animal than I am."

"Maybe so, but at least I don't mindlessly kill people like an animal." That would have probably irritated Constantine, but unfortunately the annoyance in Chris' voice made those words have no effect on his son. All they did was make him even more entertained than he already was. "You inherited the worst parts of me and your mother."

Chris mumbled the last words as he shut himself up with a large gulp of his drink before he sighed heavily and refilled it. He cursed his lycan blood for making him more resistant to alcohol, but that still didn't prevent him from trying. He still had more bottles.

"Luckily you have a spare son."

Chris snorted at that. "A normal son, yes."

If his wife knew about this, he wondered how she'd react. The Dietrich pack doesn't have a luna because his chosen partner is human who is unaware of his wolf side. It was fortunate that her job kept her busy and his wealth explained his frequent and long 'business trips', but it still boggles his mind how an entirely human mother could result in a monstrosity like Constantine.

Maybe he should have paid closer attention to what aspects his son selectively picked up from both sides to turn out like this. The wolf and the knives.

Irritatingly brilliant.

"So," Constantine said resting his cheek on a hand that had a shackle hanging from it. He didn't bother to unlock it fully. "Why am I here?"

"Where do I start." He muttered bitterly, this time his drink stopped before an inch away from his lips before he set it down. He didn't feel like drinking anymore. "Maybe we'll start with the game you were playing. Telling everyone you were after Eli."

Ingenious.

Constantine narrowed his eyes at him, imitating a doubtful look. "Did I ever say that?"

"That's what irks me about it. You never did." Chris sat back in his chair unable to help himself from giving an amused smile of his own. Everyone assumed Eli was the omega he was after including Chris who should have figured it out sooner. Constantine even denied it outright when he asked about it once. "You did it on purpose, didn't you? Point the attention an Eli."