Chapter 60

Alpha Hawthorne stood beside his son as they both stared down the pitiful sight of someone who displayed so much hopelessness. Someone who looked like they had their life ruined.

Sympathy almost sneaked its way to the alpha's heart as he looked at how small and withdrawn the beautiful boy before him was, but unlike him, Alec did not fall for that beauty's charm nor did he display any sympathetic sentiments as he glared down at Ari.

Ari who didn't care anymore, Ari who just kept on looking downwards with only his hands handcuffed because even if he tried to run away, he'd be easily caught. He was no match to mindless feral betas, let alone two alphas and their beta pack members.

All of them were familiar faces, some even were friendly to him on the regular, but now he was met with expressionless faces that treated him like a stranger. He was seen as a horrible person now, undeserving of any form compassion.

Good, because Ari wasn't entirely heartless and he'd feel bad about it if they weren't so stoic.

No matter what, no matter how much he loathed it, he had always been so sensitive. Especially towards others. Always so careful not to hurt anyone the way he was hurt, even when he hated it. Ari never wanted to be this way, he wanted to want them to suffer.

That was his intention when left.

So why was it that when he caught sight of the stress and fatigue on alpha Hawthorne's face did he feel a sinking feeling of remorse. And why was it that when Alec had forcefully dragged him away did he feel guilt and sadness at how lividly hurt and broken hearted he was?

Why was it that he was born so good, so compassionate, even when he's hurt.

It made him want to scream, it was agonizing. He didn't want to see the results of what he had done, he just wanted to feel the satisfaction of doing it. To just know he wasn't the only one in pain.

Maybe that's what made it so easy.

"I didn't want to believe it." The alpha said sounding more remorseful than anything. Things shouldn't have turned out this way, not like this. "I've known you ever since you were a child, you were always so good, Aurelius. What happened?"

But Ari didn't say anything, he just looked down feeling depression creep in. He hated it here.

"Bet you're happy about all the shit you've stirred." Alec spat a lot less gentle and remorseful than his father. It was pure hatred coating his words, and all Ari recognized was the hurt that hid behind his anger. He knew it well. "Should have known you'd run off with that freak. I should have known."

"How's Eli?"

Those words resulted in him being lifted off of his chair by his shirt, and Alec had nothing but murderous intentions as he was ready to strike. Like an instant flame that went up, that's how his fury was like. It was only the intervention of his father and another beta member of the pack that saved Ari from being seriously hurt.

It was easy to guess that whatever he had said to Eli before he left had worked, and he pushed down the guilt he felt as he kept his face devoid of any emotion.

"He's an omega." The father hissed at his son pushing him away, and it made Ari realize that he had something to his advantage, and ironically it was the one thing that made him so weak. "You could seriously hurt him."

"So what?" Alec yelled looking at his father heatedly. He was shaking in anger, like he genuinely wanted Ari dead. He had always been irritated and jealous of him, and he had always known deep down that his mate was falling for the – what he once believed – beta.