Chapter 15

Terrified tears blurred his vision.

All he knew to do was run. Just run.

That's all he could do as the feral began chasing him, and all he could think about was how unlucky and stupid he was as he did. This situation was all his fault since he was the one who dragged Eli out there in the first place, but he never thought they'd grab any sort of attention.

They didn't go far enough to do so, Ari made sure of it, but it seems like he misjudged how attractive omegas were to others. The feral was sniffing the air the whole time, it was definitely the scent that led him to them.

Now he's chasing Ari who is, as usual, forgotten once more by everyone else.

It was lucky that Rowan was able to take the feral by surprise and get the feral off of Eli – she actually took them all by surprise – and he could guess why she had followed them. They shouldn't have been alone, and if they really were, that feral would have done something horrible to Eli.

Alec would have never forgiven him if it really did happen. It was his fault.

Then again, did Ari really deserve to be left alone to fend for himself like this?

He could barely outrun the feral as bitter thoughts filled his mind. Thoughts of how Eli had seemed more important than him to Rowan.

It was understandable, and he had to remind himself that Rowan had to make a choice between someone who is an omega and a future luna, and a beta who had better chances against another feral beta. A beta who wasn't as important.

But Ari had no chance, he was helpless.

Never in his life had he been in a fight before, and it was his first time to see a feral up close like that. There was no way he was getting out of that situation unscathed and just the realization of it made his pace slow down as hopelessness set in.

He was tired of all the running; he couldn't do it anymore.

Everything happened quickly, the feral was able to get him to the ground making him almost land on his face and a low growl sounded above him. Ari tried to crawl away, get on his feet, but he was too slow and the feral effortlessly pushed him down again not sounding too happy about Ari's attempts to escape.

A clawed hand grabbed him by the shoulder holding him in his place, and he could feel something sharp dig into his skin.

The smell of his own blood entered his nose and he felt so alone. So abandoned. Why did it have to be him who was left behind?

Nobody really thought about him, and he was used to that for most of his life, but when he felt another slash on his back, he wished somebody did think of him. Even just a little.

There was a moment where he wanted to call out for help, but he knew that if he did he might attract some more unwanted attention. Ari had no idea who was around to hear him and the possibilities could range from attracting even more ferals to others who might want to kill him.

Something in him just gave up, but he was surprised to hear a yelp come out of the beta above him followed by a sickening crunch as if something hit him with a lot of force.

Relived of the weight pinning him down, he was about to make a run for it when he was stopped by the stinging pain on his back. Whatever the beta did, he made sure to cut him deeply.

"Not even a thank you?"

It didn't occur to the panicked Ari that there was a reason for the beta to be writhing in pain next to him, that someone must have hit him. He just concentrated on the fact that he's able to run away from his assailant, so when he looked behind him to look at his savior, he was met with a familiar face.