21

_________

Giovanni was my brother, though we haven't spoke, in person, in about 6 years, since I moved out. Our relationship was never in a good place, which caused me to be a bit surprised by his text.

I leave him on delivered, stuffing the charger into my phone, getting up to get ready for the day.

After showering and drying off, I pull a grey hoodie over my head and step into matching bottoms.

-
9:46 pm

I spent the majority of the day relaxing, on the couch, waiting Konig to arrive home.

The room was lit by the taupe colored table lamp on the side of the couch, and the many fairy lights in the distance outside the window. The sky was a dark aegean shade while the television played an early 2000s teen girl movie, the volume on low.

I heard the sound of my ringtone, faintly, coming from the direction of my bedroom. I place my hands on each of my sides, pushing myself off the couch. Trailing into the bedroom, my phone screen was lit up, brightly on the bed.

The contact name read 'Kayla.'

I pick it up, bringing the phone up to my ear.

"Hel-" My greeting was cut off.

"y/n.. Pl- Please. I'm downstairs." She spoke, terribly out of breath.

I furrow my eyebrows with confusion, glancing around my apartment.

"What's going o-" She cuts me off once more.

"PLEASE! HELP." She screeched in desperation, her voice still breathy, filled with worry.

I began to move, before hearing a bloody scream boom through my phone, shortly after hearing the sound of the call being hung up.

I react, pacing to the elevator, frantically pressing the down button. Once the elevator finally reached my floor, I step in, consistently pressing the L for lobby, followed by the button to close the elevator door quicker.

The wait for the elevator to reach the lobby seemed to take significantly longer than usual.

Once the doors finally opened, they revealed an empty foyer.

The large front desk was empty, the entrance area where the security guard usually stood was unoccupied, the corner where the maid usually mopped was vacant.

The only sound heard was the buzz of the bright chandelier above my head.

I step out, peering through the glass door, leading to the outside. A few trees were visible, but due to the lack of sunlight, I couldn't see much.

I push open the door, peeking my head outside the building. The brisk air instantly hit my face, but I ignore it, only worried about my friend.

Panning my surroundings, nothing looked out of order. I step out onto the concrete, the cold seeping through my socks. The faint silhouette peeked through a concrete slab with a plant behind it.

I cautiously step closer, listening carefully for any unusual sounds. Once close enough to the shadow, I swiftly realized that it was a foot.

I stare over the plant, seeing Kayla lying down, lifelessly against the ground. Her body was beginning to turn blue, her face planted against the concrete sidewalk.

Her eyes were drilled shut and her mouth was slightly agape. Her hands wrapped around her stomach, blood flowing from under her grip.

I gasp, feeling the rim of my eye fill with tears, stepping back from the sight. Until my back was met with another figure.

____________

what was your favorite thing you got for christmas? if you celebrate it!