𝕰𝖕𝖎𝖑𝖔𝖌𝖚𝖊: Crossroad Of All Grief

THE DAY NOOR honoured Zagreus, it was sunny

THE DAY NOOR honoured Zagreus, it was sunny. She was wearing her white shirt and white scarf on her head, staring at the water fountain on their Boulevard. It was customary for Antam Sanskaar to put the ashes in running water, except, well, there were no ashes to throw in. There wasn't even a body to begin with. So Noor and Steven settled on sitting at the fountain, and talking about anything and everything.

Steven was surprised that she wasn't crying, but why would she? Antam Sanskaar was not a sad thing. His soul was returned to God, where it should be. However, in Zagreus' case, Noor was doing her best to pretend like the only thing waiting for him wasn't void and emptiness. And even if it wasn't, his God would have been his father, which is equally as bad, she thinks. Still, she refuses to cry. It's not what she was taught. When her grandfather died, Antam Sanskaar was all about his journey to their God, no one cried for this. Guess it just stuck with her.

"You all right, sweetie?" Steven asks, not accustomed to this. He half-expected her to start sobbing thirty minutes ago, but she's staring in the distance with a slight smile. "I can ask Marc to front if you need to." Marc has been staring at her intently through the reflection of the fountain anyway, worried sick about her.

"I'm fine," she promises – lies. "We can leave in a bit, it's almost 5 anyway."

Steven nods, and goes back to staring at the water, holding her hand. It had been three days since Cairo, and since Zagreus' death. She couldn't postpone Antam Sanskaar anymore, and she was glad she didn't. This is a form of closure she never thought she'd get, after his death. She was still alone, yes, but free to believe that maybe he ended up in a better place.

"Ziggy was a funny guy," Steven says, not knowing what else to do. Noor snorts, because that's one way to put it, and turns to look at Zagreus, ready to make a joke about how Steven keeps calling him 'Ziggy'. Of course, he's not there, is he? She just finds herself smirking at the nothing, before her smile falters, and the pit in her stomach deepens, grief constricting her throat.

Long story short, maybe Noor needed more time to process everything, and unlearn the reflexes she gained over those ten years, because everytime she turned to tell Zagreus a joke, something in her died at the realisation that he was really gone.