𝟐𝟎. All His Loss

SOULS BEING JUDGED before their time can only mean that Harrow is about to resurrect Ammit, or that he already has, which is catastrophic as thousands are already dying and sentenced to the sand without any chances or room for improvement during t...

SOULS BEING JUDGED before their time can only mean that Harrow is about to resurrect Ammit, or that he already has, which is catastrophic as thousands are already dying and sentenced to the sand without any chances or room for improvement during their lives.

Zagreus watches those souls, feeling the injustice in his bones. He can't believe the Curse once made him blind enough to agree with that. He can see it. Those people were innocents.

"We have to get back," Noor says, appalled. "Is there any way we can make it back up?"

Taweret lets out a shaky breath. "Even if I could send you back up there, they would be returning to a body with a bullet in it."

"A couple actually," Marc says, and Noor's stomach drops.

"Not the time to flirt," Zagreus snaps. "You wouldn't be able to heal." And he's not watching Noor's broken eyes again.

"Can you tell Layla?" Noor asks. "Just tell her to, I don't know..."

"Free Khonshu," Steven says, and Noor recoils. "I know, I don't like it either."

"Are you sure you want to be with Khonshu again?" Taweret asks Marc. "Sounds like you really want to get away from him."

Noor shakes her head softly at him, begging him to say no, that they'll find something else. "I did, but this is our only shot," he says, mostly to Noor. "It's the way it's gotta be."

"Like hell it is!" she cries out. "We'll find something else, I don't care, you're not getting back to that mental pigeon."

"Noor, baby, I don't have a choice."

She clenches her jaw, face scrunching up in frustration, before she realises that Taweret is looking at her with concern. "There's that denial."

She huffs. "Just... just help us, please."

"Please," Zagreus adds, driving the desperation across.

Taweret looks at the four of them, and sighs. "Oh, what the heck?" She goes to the steering wheel. "Osiris isn't going to like this, but his gate is the only path back." She grunts, forcing the boat to change its course by taking an abrupt left, almost sending them flying into the sands. "Get back inside! You don't have long. Get those Scales balanced!"