𝟏𝟑. Under A Godless Sky

NOOR IS PANICKING

NOOR IS PANICKING. Her eyes fly from Steven's unmoving body, to the initials – stilltherestilltherestillthere – and then back to him. "Steven, wake up, please," she begs, shaking him around. "Wake the fuck up!"

"Noor," Zagreus calls, running to her. "Someone's coming."

She hurriedly relays the information to Layla, and as a last resort, they start dragging him in the sand, groaning and grunting under the effort.

Soon enough, they're caught in the headlights of a car like deer waiting to be shot, and they start to lift him as best as they can, dragging him away and them with him, to safety.

Shots are fired and land near them, barely missing.

They reach the top of the dune, and Layla turns to Noor, out of breath. "Drop and roll down!"

She doesn't have much choice – Steven's weight sends her tumbling down with him, sand flying in her mouth and eyes. They land, further down than Layla, and she wipes her face hurriedly. There's not much time, the car is already coming for them.

"Come on!"

Layla grabs her hand, forcing her to leave Steven despite her immediate whimper, and leads her to a ditched truck, quickly before the car turns around and shines its light on them.

They hide behind it, going around before getting in the back, pressing themselves against the stuff and each other.

Noor, out of breath, gasps and heaves as they go around the truck. Layla, experience, grabs a flare. She shuffles to get outside.

"What are you doing?" Noor whispers hurriedly.

"Trust me."

Layla lures them towards her, before running the other way, and sending a flare in their truck. It triggers the explosives inside, and blows up the truck.

Noor, still completely panicked by the chain of events, shyly slides down and sits up, opening the door.

She sees a man standing in front of the truck, and instinctively throws her fist in his face. "Noor don't!"