𝟐𝟑. From Sand To Sand

THE GROUND STARTING to shake is the only warning of what's happening outside of their memories

"Hey do you feel that?" Steven asks, arms still around Noor. "I think we just stopped."

Sparing a last, meaningful look at Zagreus, Noor springs forward. "Let's get this circus over with."

When they step outside, they can see the Gates of Osiris from afar, and a completely terrified Taweret.

"Taweret, what's going on?" Steven asks her.

She wries her hippopotamus fingers. "I've never seen the Gates from up close."

Noor stares at the Gates, like a huge chunk of rock sprouting out of the sands, statues of Osiris carved into it. "Well that guy's got ego issues. How do we open them?"

Taweret just sighs, looking down. "I'm so sorry. Your Scales never balanced. Our journey's come to an end. I cannot stop the inevitable. I was really rooting for you guys, but the unbalanced souls of the Duat now must claim yours." And just like that, she starts to walk away.

"Well thanks for nothing!" Noor cries out after her, very clearly exhausted and frustrated. She leans against the side of the boat, sighing. "Alright friends and Zagreus, what do we do?"

Zagreus scoffs at the pettiness she's displaying, but then again, he deserved it.

She feels something cold gripping her arm, and very, very slowly, looks down.

Climbing onto the boat is one of Harrow's men she killed, staring back at her, his face covered in sand. "Oh what the fu..."

He harshly tugs her towards him, into the sea of sand, and if it wasn't for the grip Marc has on her waist as he yanks her away, she'd be gone now.

They tumble to the ground, Noor landing on top of him, staring down at him in complete shock. "Thanks. Guess we know what we're doing now." Marc's eyes flick down between them, bodies pressed flushed together. She scowls. "Get your mind out of the gutter, Spector!"

They stand up, Noor looking like a living traffic signal, and the tip of Marc's ear red. The other two just stare in exhaustion. This has been going on for too long now for them to even say anything.