𝟑. The Soulmate Bond

ZAGREUS NEVER RESENTED the fact that he's a ghost in Noor's life

ZAGREUS NEVER RESENTED the fact that he's a ghost in Noor's life. That is to say that Noor makes him present and alive at all times, so he never felt the full blown realisation that he isn't really there.

But now he's hovering over Marc and Noor, sitting on their bench in front of Noor's workplace, screaming and trying to fistfight him anytime Noor winces. Which is a lot, because Marc is quite literally cleaning her wound.

"Zag for fuck's sake just sit down and stop yelling!" Noor ends up snapping at him.

Marc looks back and forth between her and the spot she's staring at, and figures that it's probably what he looks like when arguing with Khonshu. 

"Sorry," Noor says to him. "We're not used to company, or people knowing about him." She figures that he might be one of the only people to understand it.

"No problem," he assures her. "Sorry that the dinner is just pizza."

Zagreus stares at the half-eaten pizza between them. "Yeah, not what I had in mind when he said 'Can I buy you dinner'."

Noor clears her throat. "It's fine, don't worry."

They remain silent for a moment, a little weirded out by everything. Even Zagreus stopped screaming like a soccer mum. Noor had hoped that the relationship with her soulmate would just click into place and they'd be acting like they'd known each other since... forever.

But no. It feels more like they're strangers shoved together by fate. She hopes it was for a good reason.

"So," Marc lets out, trying to start a conversation. "Greek god then?"

She looks up at him, awkward. "Yeah. You?"

He shrugs. "Egyptian god of the moon."

"Makes sense." He frowns. "The whole moon thing on your chest when you became... Whatever you became." She looks away, and back at her arm. Marc bandaged it halfway up, jaw set. "So, DID then?"

After Marc explained his and Steven's 'relationship', and what DID was, it just made sense. Noor's anxiety settled, and she scoured the internet for information while Marc was getting the pizza they're currently eating. She doesn't know who's the alter and who's the host, but she figures that it doesn't really matter. Just that her best friend and her soulmate share the same body. Not messy at all.