𝟖. Meeting At The Top

THEY DIDN'T FIGURE it out the day after

THEY DIDN'T FIGURE it out the day after. Or the day after that day. No, with no news from Marc, who still was controlling the body, if she was to trust the soulmate mark, and no news from Layla, who was gods know where, Noor had started to fall in a deep pit of anxiety and self-deprecation.

She stopped going to work. Was fired. Then wallowed some more in her bed, Zagreus trying to snap her out of it without much success. What would he do anyway? Her soulmate was missing and on a potentially suicide mission.

And she still hasn't called her father back.

Zagreus is... well, he's worried, to be honest. Noor has had depressive episodes in the past, but it got better. It's only been a few days, sure, but by that time she'd at least brushed her teeth. Though, he figures that this is getting better, as she did shower and brushed her hair and teeth that day, before going back to bed. He still believes that this is something else entirely.

Noor is, in fact, in complete denial about what's happening. About Ammit, and Harrow, and Marc disappearing, and the only way for her to keep up the illusion that nothing is wrong, is to shut herself from reality. Reality can't harm her if she can't see it.

"Do you want anything?" he asks her as if he would even be able to help.

He receives no answer. She might be asleep, so he goes back to the TV, and waits for her to wake up, show signs of life, anything. Maybe then he'd be able to help.

It's excruciating seeing her like that. He's not even watching Love Island anymore, just watching the news, trying to see if Marc is causing a ruckus of some sort.

A good thing he had the great presence of mind to do so. Because, as he sits back in the chair without it creaking under his non-existent weight, the channel switches to an emergency report.

"An out of cycle eclipse has plunged Egypt into darkness, as the moon changed its course to stand in front of the sun..."

Truly, he didn't hear the rest of the sentence. The moon changed its course, that's enough for him to know who's behind that.

"Noor!" he screams through the room, before running to the bedroom. "Noor, come on, sweetie, wake up." She opens an eye, grunting before turning in the bed. "Okay, not the time to be difficult, human!" She sighs. "I found Marc."