𝟔. Who's What?

MARC THINKS THAT this could've gone a thousand times better. The primary idea is that, maybe, if the stars had aligned – or, he figures, if they hadn't – he wouldn't have to deal with a soulmate in the balance. Then again, how could he be mad about that? His better half, from what he's seen through Steven's eyes, is everything he thought her to be. If anything, he just wishes she could have better than him. And he thinks, after their disastrous first date, that she might feel the same.

Still. There is too much at play, and if she gets involved, there's no way in hell he'll be able to do anything. He'd be too distracted on protecting her. This already happened with Layla, and she wasn't even his soulmate, so Noor?

It would be stupid to even think it'd work.

That's why, watching as Steven walks with Layla back to the flat, his breath catches in his throat, and suddenly he wants nothing else but to front, and tuck Noor away in a corner until all of this is settled and he won't put her in danger.

Because here Noor is, leaning against the door, rubbing her ring finger and her eyes narrowed at Steven. She doesn't need to check to know that it's Steven, from the way he holds himself, all slouched, and smiling at her, all happy. She figures Marc wouldn't react like that.

In all fairness, he wouldn't, but mainly because he temporarily lost all ability to speak.

"Hey," she smiles, and his heart skips a beat. Steven frowns at the feeling, before quickly realising that it's Marc reacting to Noor. "Sorry, got a bit worried back there. Figured you might need a hand with whatever it was when you got home." She leans to the side, and smiles politely at Layla. "I'm Noor. I'm a friend of Steven's."

Layla's eyes light up with frustration and a tiny bit of curiosity. "Steven, right?" she says, and Noor frowns at her tone. "I'm Layla," she introduces herself. "Marc's ex-wife."

Zagreus chokes on his saliva. "Who's what?"

The information fights its way up Noor's brain, and she stops blinking for a full minute. Marc, stuck in the background, figures that this is the absolute worst way to do this.