𝟑𝟎. Greek Tragedy

NOOR HUGS ZAGREUS as tight as she can

NOOR HUGS ZAGREUS as tight as she can. She got so scared. Scared that he didn't make it, but he's fine. He's fine, and she's holding him, and everything will be alright now.

She can barely make out the words said behind her, as Khonshu frees Marc and Steven, too engrossed by his presence. Zagreus hugs her back, and she feels him shake slightly, but pays it no mind. It would be stupid to think that he got out of this unharmed.

They stay like this for Gods know how long, Zagreus taking everything in, her scent, the way she hugs him like she wants to envelop his entire body with hers, and protect him from the inevitable.

For a second, everything in the world is right.

"We're good now," she tells him with a smile, parting. "You can snap the bond back into place."

It finally hits Zagreus, that this is not right. None of this. Because he knows that Noor wants nothing more than for things to go back to normal, and it's going to be so, so far from that.

"I can't," he says.

Her smile falters, and she shakes her head slightly. "What do you mean?"

He swallows around the lump in his throat, heart hammering in his chest. It's starting, he can feel it. But if he can feel it, so will she, through the bond, and he won't do that to her.

"I can't," he repeats, detaching each syllable. "Because I don't want you to feel me die."

Noor steps back, confused, because why would he say that? Everything is fine, they're going to be fine. "Come on, don't be an idiot."

She tries to take his hand, do something, anything, but he steps back, head hanging low. "Noor, please. Let me do this."

"Let you do what?" she huffs, growing agitated, not understanding what on Earth is going on.

"Please just let me say goodbye to you."

She scoffs, taking a step back again. "Stop this. Stop this, everything is fine."

"Noor."

She starts trembling, shaking her head frenetically. "What's going on?" Marc asks.

Zagreus raises his teary eyes to his. "I never was supposed to survive breaking the bond," he says. "This is just borrowed time."