𝟐𝟒. The Things We Lost In The Fire

CECE AND MELINOË have been waiting for the god and his Knight's return

CECE AND MELINOË have been waiting for the god and his Knight's return. Even Luke and Macaria joined them curious to know how it went. Macaria is leaning against a tree, looking at her nails in deep thought.

"There is a reason why we aren't meant to have links with humans," she keeps saying. "Have you seen Zagreus with her? He's going to get hurt."

Luke, sitting opposite Cece in the field, criss-cross, looks up at her, arching a brow. "Didn't you die for one?"

She stops looking at her hand to stare at him. "It's like you want me to kill you."

"Those are pretty archaïc views," Melinoë agrees, voice light. "Humans aren't just here to serve us after death."

"We're not here to serve you in the first place," Cece huffs. "I wonder how Noor did it, 10 years with that guy."

"I wonder why Zagreus stayed in the first place," Macaria tells her.

They become dead quiet when Zagreus drags Noor outside of the Duat, Noor just staring at the closing door with bloodshot eyes and an open mouth.

The others stand up, confused. Except for Luke, who takes one look at Zagreus and quietly goes. "I know how she did it." Cece jabs her elbow in his ribs.

The second the door closes, Noor pushes Zagreus away, huffing and puffing. She knows she left Marc willingly – for the most part – but coming back to a place where the soulmate mark on her finger is gone is harder than she thought.

This is not the kind of world she wants to live in.

"Where are your soulmates?" Cece asks, tactful as ever.

Noor spares her a glance, before gritting her teeth. She can't yell at a child, can she? "They'll come back, both of them."

"They're not with you?" Macaria asks, frowning.

Zagreus steps forward. "Macaria."

Noor just stares at the tall, brown woman who looks at her like she's nothing but the mud on her perfect boots. "So you risked my brother's life for nothing? Impressive."