"The letter"

Simon's pov:

Melina's mom was putting away all of Melina's belongings, to free up the space Melina had been using all this time.

I was next to Melina watching her...watching her chest fill with air thanks to the help of her machines....

The door opened and Jennifer walked in....
"Hello Simon..."

"Ma'am." I replied getting up from the chair.
Jennifer gave a small smile but her eyes were full of tears....

"These two letters are for you." Jennifer handed me two envelopes of letters that said my name on one of them.

One said: 'Dear Simon' , while the other one said: 'His future love' .

I looked at Jennifer confused- "it looks like she had made these letters before she went on the mission...they were among her things in her room...I'll leave you alone so you can read them." Jennifer gave me another sad smile and left the room.

I sat down and opened the letter with my name on it....

"Dear, Simon...." I started to read the beginning But I stopped and took a big sigh.

I'm ready....

Melina's narrating:
Dear, Simon....
If you are reading this letter it is because unfortunately something very bad happened to me...or I passed away. I want to start by apologizing....you don't deserve any of what you are feeling and going through right now, it was never my intention....

I have spent the most incredible and intense months, full of love and a lot of passion thanks to you. I have never felt so alive and full of happiness. You are amazing, Simon. No matter how imperfect you are...in my eyes, you are the most perfect person I have ever met. I love you so much that I can't even find the right words to express or explain my love for you.

I am so grateful to have met you, to have had the opportunity to share so many things starting from trust, thank you for showing me who Simon Riley really is. Simon...you are truly a person with the purest and realest feelings ever...you are very sweet and loving. You are an addictive person...just like a drug.

I love how you show your love...I know you have always had problems with feelings and couple things...but thank you for trying, thank you for your hugs, your kisses, your touches and your smiles. Thank you for filling me with beautiful memories.

I know life is unfair...I know. Maybe this happened to me because life has something much better planned for you and I hope it does.

Don't blame yourself, nothing and no one was to blame.

If I am gone or will be gone, let yourself be loved and allow yourself to heal. Don't shut yourself up or push others away, let yourself be helped, communicate and express yourself. Do not be afraid to fall in love again, because love is not to blame for this.

Promise me that you will do all that...yes?

I will always be by your side watching over you, never forget that.
I just hope you stay alive for many, many more years...it would be better if we all live forever....

Never forget to take care of yourself, okay?
I love you endlessly, Simon Riley. I always will.

I promise you that everything will be okay, you will be okay again.

With love, Melina Gates.

| |

What happened before Sandman died:
Melina's past pov:

"Melina! Dad, it's on the phone!" I heard my mother yell from the kitchen.

I was just finishing getting ready, I was going out partying with my girlfriends, we had just graduated from medical school. I was in a short skinny red dress with a big cleavage in the back and my hair was down and my makeup was heavy but pretty.

I went downstairs and walked to the kitchen.

My father always calls every Sunday every two weeks. I miss him so much...but right now I'm really upset with him...he lied to me about coming to my graduation...but he never did .

I picked up the phone- "hello."

"Melina! How are you honey?" my dad asked.

"I'm fine."

"You're mad at me, aren't you?"

"Of course I am, you didn't go to my graduation. You lied to me." I said rolling my eyes.

"Honey, I'm so sorry. I couldn't attend since we have an emergency...in a couple of hours we are going on a very important mission...I promise you when this mission is over I will be home."

I gave a mocking laugh- "don't promise things you know you won't be able to fulfill ."

"Melina...you know it's out of my hands-" my father was saying before I interrupted.

"Stop it, I don't need to hear your lame excuses, Dad. You're a fucking commander and you're still telling me you're mega-obligated to stay?! For God's sake! You chose your job over your family, you always do that!"

"Melina! What are you saying?!" my mother yelled at me. I just ignored her.

"Yes it's true... but for me, our family will always come first...but this time I had to stay. It's something very important-"

"Yes, yes. I don't really care. You'll always be the same, don't contact me again. Goodbye." I left the phone on top of the kitchen island for my mother to pick up again.

I walked quickly to the door of the entrance of the house- "MELINA! Talk to your father! At least say goodbye!" my mother said walking over to where I was standing.

"No thanks." I grabbed my purse and walked out of the house.

I wish I hadn't been so stupid...and if only I had said goodbye...and apologized.

I'm so sorry, Dad.

| |

{⚠️Only one more chapter to go and Cold Eyes ends. But, remember I will be posting the sequel! The story of COLD EYES doesn't end just like that!🤭🫶}