"Flashback"

"FUCK- FUCK-" I heard Mara's voice making me jump to my feet and grab my rifle, mara was sitting next to me.

"Wow- wow, put that down." Mara held up her hands in peace.

"Don't scare me like that, bitch." I said lowering my rifle.

We were in a foxhole while all we heard was gunfire and more gunfire, tanks moving, people screaming, bombs and planes. We were in Kuwait.

We were full of mud and dirt.We had been trying to protect the US base with our unit from the rebels for two days now.

"I want to go now, I'm so tired." Mara said as she opened a candy bar.

"Tsk- tell me about it. I haven't been able to sleep well."

"Do you want some?" Mara offered me from her bar.

I accepted and took half. We had been warring nonstop all day without eating anything. I already felt like I was going to pass out.

"Do you think they will kill us?" Mara asked me.

"There are worse ways to die." I told her with a smile.
Mara started laughing remembering the time we had to escape with the contractors and we were 3 days walking in nothingness.

"At least we are together. If we go down...we go down together." Mara said nudging me with her shoulder.

"You are very wise." I said laughing.

"Have you interviewed for Task Force yet?" Mara asked me.

"Yeah. You should go too."

"Nah...that's not for me. Besides I just want to finish my contract so I can get back to my son." Mara told me.

"He's going to be there...John MacTavish...you know..." I said looking at her sideways.

Mara laughed as she closed her eyes. Mara has always had a crush on John MacTavish. Whenever we see Task Force 141 come through the gates of our base, Mara is quick to look for MacTavish among them all. Only once did Mara dare to speak to him and she almost fainted when MacTavish knelt down and tied her boots.

Even though I have a boyfriend...I've always been attracted to...Simon Riley...from Task Force 141. I've seen him many times staring at me but that's it...he never talks to me or comes near me. It's a little strange.

"Yeah yeah...daddy. But I can't...I want to complete my years of service so I can bring Rodrigo back to the States and give him the childhood he deserves."

Rodrigo is Mara's son. Mara was recruited by the CIA at 15...then volunteered for US Special Forces training...that's where we met. Basically this will be our last time working together...Mara will be moved to Warcom unit while I will be going to Task Force 141.

Mara now has her papers as an American and she's now working so that the military can help her bring Rodrigo to the United States and give him the citizenship.

Mara and I are like sisters from different mothers...I don't know what I would do without this woman.

"Why do you really want to leave for the Task Force, Mel?" Mara asked pulling me out of my thoughts.

"I want to stop the fucker who killed my father."
That's the main reason.

"Mel...revenge consumes people's whole souls until it leaves them dying. It's like making a pact with the devil...don't put your soul out for something that's already happened. I know you miss your dad...but is this what he really wanted you to do?"

Is this what I really want?

"I know-"

"Then...get revenge out of your head, Melina. There's plenty of time to heal so start from now."

Plenty of time....

"Mara...you've never felt this feeling that...you're running out of time."

Mara looked at me with a confused look on her face....
"In what context?"

"Like something really bad will happen to you in the future."

"I think...yes." Mara Said.

"Because...I feel it too."