Chapter 34

You're like a coin. No. Not valuable. Just two-faced.

--

"They won't find me here. I'm safe!" Paulit-ulit na sabi ng dalaga sa sarili habang nagtatago sya sa isang kahon ng sapatos sa gitna ng malawak na parang.

She saw people pass her by and she slouched even more to hide her head that was peeking out of the box. One faceless person stopped in front of her.

She cringed as the man she couldn't recognize leered at her from above.

She saw his menacing smile and she covered her face, convinced that if she can't see him, he would go away.

But she couldn't stop herself from peeking through the gaps between her fingers.

"I knew it," says the man with a female voice. "Go home princess."

Binagsakan sya nito ng kung anu-anog mga bagay that she later recognized as her old bags, shoes and clothes.

She tried to throw them out of the box but they were to heavy. And she was so tiny.

She started crying as many people gather around the box.

One of them reached out her hand to her.

"Come on sweetie... it's time to go home."

"NO!" she screamed at her. She held on to the cardboard wall as the woman picked up the box and tried to grab her.

Then she felt someone push her from behind and she slumped to the woman's hand.

She struggled to get free from the woman's clutch pero inihaya nito sa kanya ang isang cleaver.

"We'll go home now," the woman said with finality.

"NO! Please! I want to stay!" she begged as tears streamed down her face.

She felt a familiar hand on her shoulder. When she turned around, it was a faceless guy. Pero alam nyang si Zelo ito.

He started to shake her shoulders.

Then she woke up.

"Binabangungot ka na naman," bungad ni Zelo sa kanya.

She wiped her tears, sat up and embraced him. "I-I'm scared," mangiyak-ngiyak nyang sabi dito.

"Shhh. Nandito lang ako," pag-aalo nito sa kanya.

Isiniksik niya ang mukha niya sa may leeg nito. "I don't want to go home."

He brushed her hair and kissed it. "Wala tayong magagawa. Kailangan mong umuwi."

She pushed him slightly away and then she pouted. "Ayoko."

Ngumiti ito sa kanya. "Alam mo bumangon ka na lang."

"Umaga na ba?" tanong niya rito.

Tumango ito. "Naliligo na si Meera. Sumunod ka na." He tried to unwrap her arms from him but she didn't budge.

"Kapag ba bumalik na sa dati ang lahat, will we stay together?" tanong niya rito.

"Oo naman," he assured her.

"Promise?"

He smiled and kissed her on the forehead. "Pangako."

--

Dama has this sick feeling since this morning. Nagsimula iyon when she tried approaching Manang Pacing to help her at the kitchen at hindi sya pinansin nito.