Billy Hargrove X Reader - Kiwi

A/N - This chapter was inspired by the song Kiwi by Harry Styles. It is set a few years after they graduate high school. I hope you all enjoy it. 

It was only a matter of time until word of your newest life development started spreading around town. Hawkins was pretty small and people loved to gossip, which meant that as soon as your bump started showing, the rumours of your pregnancy would become the most important thing to talk about. You'd hidden it for as long as you could, but oversized clothing and literally hiding behind random objects would only work for a short amount of time, and now, you were pretty sure people were starting to take notice. 

You'd made it to 5 and a half months before it had really become public knowledge. 22 weeks of managing to keep it as your own little secret was pretty impressive really. But honestly, it's not like you cared that people were finding out. I mean, they were bound to notice something was going on when they started seeing you around town with a newborn in a few months' time. 

So, for the first time since you'd found out that you were pregnant, you were wearing your bump out in public with pride, your hand resting on the swell as you perused the aisles of the grocery store. You'd been so confident in the decision too, until you'd reached for a can on the top shelf and felt someone lean in close, grabbing it for you and placing it into your palm. 

"Hi," Billy uttered, looking a little lost when you turned around and glanced up at him with wide eyes. "I, uh-" his words trailed off, his eyes dipping to take in your stomach. "Your-" he started again, scratching at the back of his neck. You'd never seen him look so nervous before. In the few weeks that you'd been dating, or more accurately, sleeping together and occasionally hanging out, he'd been one of the most swaggering, self-assured men you had ever met. But right now, he looked completely out of his element. "Is it-"

"Do we have to do this here?" you started, all too aware of the eyes that had been following you around the store, now lingering on the two of you, standing a little too close together for people who were just friends. "People are watching," you added, clearing your throat slightly, and moving away from him to place the can in your cart. 

"I can come to yours-"

"I'd rather you didn't."

"Then where do you want to talk?"

You hesitated for a moment, glancing back up at him for a second. "I don't," you finally uttered, your tongue darting out to wet your bottom lip. "I think you should just forget you saw me, alright?"

Billy practically recoiled at your comment, as though you'd physically hit him. "Is it mine?"

"Not here."

"What do you want me to do?" he started, catching your elbow as you tried to move past him. "Y/N, please," he pressed on. "I want to help you-"

"I don't want your help," you interrupted, shaking your head slightly. "Jesus, Billy. If I wanted you to be involved, I would've called you, but I am perfectly fine on my own."

He opened his mouth as though he wanted to bite back at you with some cruel comment. To be honest, if you were anyone else, he probably would have let the words fly. But he'd always had a soft spot for you, even after you'd called off the little friends-with-benefits thing you'd had going on and completely cut off all contact. "What are you going to do for money?"

"How many times do I have to say 'not here' before you get the hint?"

"Well, you won't answer my calls-"

"I've got a job," you muttered, shaking your head. "I'll be fine."

"Babies are expensive-"

"I know that," you bit back. "I'm not an idiot, Billy."