|31|𝙰 𝚍𝚊𝚝𝚎 𝚝𝚘 𝚛𝚎𝚖𝚎𝚖𝚋𝚎𝚛

Kory let a warm smile slip onto her face as she brushed a stray curl over her shoulder. She looped her arm through Harper's as the pair descended the stairs with a careful grace.

A light chuckle escaped her tinted lips as her fingers inched towards the blazer draped across her shoulders. After continuous arguing between the crime fighters and multiple articles of clothing thrown into Harper's face and disgarded in a pile beneath her feet, they had reached an agreement. Harper would allow Kory to pick her outfit so long as it was comfortable and breathable in the event her and Dick needed to defend themselves.

She pushed her black rimmed glasses, sending a grateful smile to the woman when they met Dick at the bottom of the stairs. Harper halted as he turned to face her.

He was adorned in a black button-down shirt and dress pants with the watch she had gifted to him on his birthday secured on his wrist. The band carved in with their initials. Her chocolate eyes trailed from his ruffled brunette hair to the fragrant bouquet of white roses held in his hands.

A small fond smile curled at her lips as he placed them in her hold. The same way her father did to her mother.

" You look beautiful " he complimented as she grinned at him. " You look handsome" she smiled as he held his arm out for her to take.  " Shall we?" he said with an incline of his head. Harper chuckled as she played along. " We shall"

Kory waved at the two as they made their way towards the car. " Stay safe alright!" Kory yelled as Harper gave her a salute. " And have fun."

Harper sent her one last wave before Dick pulled off. This was the last bit of freedom they would have before life itself would change.

 This was the last bit of freedom they would have before life itself would change

" Dick Grayson?" Dick nodded as they entered the restaurant. It was bare, and under the protection of GCPD in the event of an attack. They wanted their moment of undisturbed peace, so he went as far as to ensure the entire restaurant was off limits.  " Right this way"

His hand entwined with hers as he tugged her forward towards their table. Soft music filled the silence along with the low mumble of the few staff. They followed the waiter as she guided them to their table. Being the ever gentleman he was, Dick held the chair for her with a dramatic hand which she sat down before he joined her on the opposite side.

" You really went all out huh" Harper mused as he smirked lightly. " Only for you" he teased as she shook her head.

The waiter came over, menus in hand before placing them down with a smile. Harper ordered a latte with a slice of cake while Dick ordered a shot of absinthe. Harper raised her brow in shock. " Really?"

" I've run out of ideas, so we resort to bad ones." he said as she pursed her lips, turning to the waiter. " Alright, make it two please."

The waiter nodded and took her leave. Harper rested her cheek on her hand as Dick copied her actions. Her dark eyes scanned his as her foot nudged his leg.

" You going to explain your plan or should I guess." Harper said, with a questioning stare.

" You really want to discuss battle plans on a date." He chortled as she kicked him lightly. " You're the one who asked me out in the middle of a war."

" Are you not having the time of your life Ms Phoenix." he drawled with a wolfish grin as she rolled her eyes softly. " Yeah, I adore having to hide in a restaurant while my boyfriend has a $50 000 bounty on his head, who by the way, seems oddly calm about this situation."

Dick snickered as the drinks were placed in front of them. " You know this isn't the first time our lives have been threatened. It's almost like a hobby now."

Harper scoffed mildly as they raised their drinks. " To a better end." she toasted as he clicked his glass with hers before downing the shot. Harper's face twisted as she shuddered before dropping the glass back down.

" Damn" she grimaced as Dick chuckled. "Cute" he muttered before a spark lit up his eyes.

" Do you remember the rain gutter?" he suddenly recalled. Harper saw the fondness in his eye as he looked at her

An airy chuckle left her lips as she nodded softly. " Yeah, you weren't as slick as you'd thought."

" It got me into your room didn't it. Got the scars as proof" He rebutted as she sat back in her chair, an amused glint in her eyes." It also got you a warning from Oliver. "

" You win some, you lose some." he shrugged. " What about the roof?" she asked as his lips quirked affectionately. " You were in shambles."

" That was the night I realised I loved you. " he told her as his eyes dropped to her hand that was fiddling with her fork. One day, he thought glancing at her finger. When this was all over.

" You're getting very sappy Dick Grayson. " she said, trying to muffle her smile.

" I know you love it. " he jested. " I don't think you realise how much I love you Harper Phoenix. " he said lacing her fingers with his.

She met his smitten gaze with a fond one of her own. " I love you too Dick Grayson. "

Harper scooped a piece of her frosting onto her finger before smearing it on his nose and down to his lips. " Now stop with the sappiness. you're making me flustered. "

Ignoring his surprised look, he masked it with an almost taunting expression when he suddenly leaned forward. Harper now mirroring his previous surprise. " I still make you flustered?" he teased as she eyed the frosting. " Not like that you don't"

His smirk widened before he pushed forward, his hand snaking up to her chin, bringing her closer before his lips met hers. Her eyes fluttered shut while his hand fitted against her cheek. She grew increasingly aware of him, his presence, his warmth, his touch. She felt the love she had towards him burn that even though the rich taste of the frosting coated her lips, the moment felt almost bittersweet. Maybe it was the sagging feeling of dread that was taunting her or the underlying fear caging her decisions that had her euphoric   moment feel like it could be their last. 

So when he pulled away, some frosting painting her nose that he wiped away with a chuckle, her hands tightened around the table cloth and the longing in her heart became almost unbearable. But seeing the smile on his face, the way his shoulders relaxed as he lowered his gaurd for even one night, she dismissed her unsettling anxiety in hopes she'd get to see him the way she did now- forever.

" I hate you sometimes" she scoffed playfully as he throwed her a wink.

" Don't lie Harper. " he smirked. " This is just the beginning "

 " This is just the beginning "