|28| 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚝𝚞𝚛𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚙𝚘𝚒𝚗𝚝

" YOU DISCHARGED HIM!"

Harper pulled the device from her ear as she suppressed a wince. Not even minutes after their departure from the hospital, Harper had received a furious call from the commissioner ranting about her disregard for his well being and caving into his stubbornness. Harper merely shrugged her profanities with a tilted smile.

" You know he would've escaped right" Harper mused as she glanced at Dick who was slouched in the passenger's seat, a hand on her thigh while his deep brown eyes flickered over to meet hers briefly before returning back to the whizzing of scenery. " I'll ensure his pretty lil ass is taken care of back at the manor Barb, so stop worrying "

She heard a deep almost amused sigh from the line as Harper pulled into the manor.

" You guys will be the death of me" Barbara whined as Harper chuckled. She turned the engine off before swivelling in her seat to face her boyfriend. His back was facing her, staring out the window with an almost dazed look on his face. She called out to him softly but it seemed as if he couldn't hear her. Harper felt concern brim her eyes as she told Barbara she would call her back.

" Dick?"

His eyes remained glued to the window. He flinched when he felt a hand on his shoulder, Harper quickly withdrew from him, her eyes scanning his features before meeting his startled gaze.

" Are you okay?" she questioned gently as he glanced outside the window once again where he had seen a young boy adorned in a robin suit sending an almost warning to him. He nodded stiffly as she rested the back of her hand on his forehead.  " You sure. Should I take you back." She said in a rush before pursing her lips in an almsot conflicting manner.  " Man, I should've listened to Barb."

Harper reached to switch the engine on again but a hand lurched out, wrapping around her wrist as her gaze shot up to his. Dick's grip loosened as he sent her a small smile. " I promise I'm fine. I just zoned out for a bit" Harper eyed him skeptically before nodding. " Alright let's get you inside."

Harper kept a careful arm around his waist as the two entered the manor. She briskly walked to the kitchen where she had him seated on the island. " I'm going to get some things from downstairs, you stay here and do not move. " she told him sternly.

Harper turned but he was quicker. He placed a light peck to her cheek before pulling away, a genuine smile filled with adoration replacing his usual devilish smirk. Harper stood frozen for a second before a light pink dusted her cheeks. 

"Thank you Harper" he told her and Harper could feel the weight of those words. He was grateful, so undeniably thankful to have her in his life. She had always been there, taken care of him, looked out for him, protected him. She had always loved him, even when he felt like he didn't deserve to be loved. She had thrown her life for his and he knew she would gladly do it again as he would for her. Losing her would be as if life itself was meaningless. Dick knew if it ever came to him or her, he would always choose her. She had gone through so much for him and if he had to die knowing she would live. Then Dick would've died 100 times over so she could see the sun rise another day.