| 21| 𝚁𝚒𝚏𝚝𝚜

Ryder ran a hand through his midnight curls as he blew a breath. He'd never truly understand how the group of young heroes managed to get this far, let alone deal with the burden and guilt of it all. Don't they tire? Rest? He can tell how hard Hank's death had affected them. He could see how much the tall and athletic spunk that was Hawk meant to the group- meant to his sister. He hadn't known Hank for long, had a couple of spats here and there but he knew Hank didn't deserve to go out like that.

Ryder tried to find some sort of reasoning for the young boy. Some sort of excuse. He and Jason weren't too far off from when they started. Some part of him tugged, pulling him back into his shackled past trying to tie him down again. Jason was going down a path he fought so hard to get out of.

The raven haired man didn't realise how attached he had become to the group he now considered family. He also didn't realise how scared he was to now lose them. Sure they still had a while to go before he was officially a member but they treated him as one of their own- but then again how well did that usually go for the lot.

Ryder made his way into the kitchen, his hands shoved in his pockets with a tense silence suffocating the house. It was empty. Dick had disappeared after Harper had dropped the bomb saying she was to return to Star City for a while- reasons he could understand. She had asked if he wanted to join her, introduce him properly to the two special figures who raised her in his place but he had declined. A certain Tamaranian plaguing his mind. Relatively speaking he wanted to ensure she was okay. Kory had been out of it for days now, constantly on edge, crumbling in paranoia. With most of the Titans members gone, he knew he couldn't possibly leave them alone, or her. Harper just reassured him that it was okay and with parting farewells he had hoped she took this time to finally ease all the torture consuming her.

As Ryder rounded the counter, a fresh pizza steaming on the island left barren, did he hear fearful panting. Lying on the floor was Kory, her eyes flashing her emerald green he grew accustomed to while Gar held her down, his eyes screaming in panic and terror before Kory gasped, her green hue fading.

" Kory!" he exclaimed as Gar pushed himself away from her, his feet tumbling over himself as he stumbled back.

" Gar?" Kory called in panic but he frantically shook his head, a burn mark charring his arm, his hands outstretched in surrender.

" Stay away from me" he spat as she looked at him with wide eyes. Ryder had rushed to her side, dropping to his knees as he held her, concern bubbling inside him.

Kory looked between the two but Gar's glare remained unwavering. " Gar?" she whimpered but he stormed out, leaving a stunned yet terrified Kory in the arms of the only person tethering her to reality at the moment.

Ryder looked over where Gar had once stood in sympathy before he gently helped her to her feet.

" Are you okay Kor?" he questioned as she clutched his forearms.