| 6 | 𝙰 𝚑𝚎𝚊𝚟𝚢 𝚋𝚞𝚛𝚍𝚎𝚗

" Bruce?"

Dick wandered into the bat cave. It had felt like eternity since the last time he was here. Walking into the same place he used to walk through as a different man felt almost haunting. The batcave looked almost identical. The little trinkets they had collected on their missions. The equipment and scattered unfinished projects sprawled all over place. It latched onto him like ghosts.

He spotted Bruce hunched over a bucket, blood stained cloths thrown beside him as his hands harshly scrubbed at the mask in his grasp.

" The blood, it's hard to get out." he said as he stood up. Dick shoved his hands into his pockets as he gauged the state Bruce was in. He was worried for him, but deep down Dick was hurting too.

" I'm sorry"

Bruce let out a sigh, his eyes never wavering from the Robin mask in his hand. Another one leaving the item bare.

" The Joker's back in Arkham?"

" Yes"

" I'm glad the cops got to him first "

" Me too"

Dick huffed at the lack of response he was getting. Bruce wasn't fairing as well as he'd thought. Dick knew Bruce never really had his head screwed on straight but he had never imagined it to be this bad. 

" Can I help with any of the arrangements?" Dick had offered. Bruce has made his way towards the chamber encasing Dick and now Jason's old Robin suit. His cold nature sending a dagger through Dick.

" No, it's all been taken care of."

The two were unaware of a certain brunette making her way towards them. Harper frowned at the man's response. What did he mean, all taken care of?

" So when's the funeral?" Dick asked as Bruce evaded him.

" It's already happened " Bruce shrugged listlessly as Harper froze.

" What?"

Bruce had finally turned away from his mournful embrace to look over at the woman who had approached them.

" Harper" Dick called as she clenched her fists at her sides. Her eyes boring into Bruce's. The notorious bat said nothing as she lurched forward. Dick latched his hand around her wrist as he held her from attacking him. Her eyes narrowed into slits as she all but spat at his nonchalant demeanor.

" What do you mean it's already happened Bruce?" she snarled as Dick frowned.

" The mortuary delivered the coffin last night. I had him buried in the family plot next to Alfred. " 

" You had it without us. Without me. Bruce you're not the only one fcking grieving. " Harper hissed as Bruce brushed past them and sat by the monitor.

Harper and Dick faced him. Dick held  her close as he rubbed his fingers down her back lightly. " Look, Bruce we understand this is difficult for all of us, especially you. But couldn't you have at least waited - "

" He had no family!" Bruce yelled as he cut Dick off. Harper tried to ease the slow rage burning in her as Bruce fiercely shut them out.

" He had us Bruce. He had me, and you knew that"

Bruce shrugged them off completely as he focused on the screen in front of them. Harper stepped out of Dick's hold as she tried to calm herself down. Dick shot her a weary look before approaching Bruce. " What are you doing?"

" There's a new player in Gotham. He's killed seven already "

Harper whipped around. " You can't be serious right now."

Dick sighed, he couldn't and would never understand Bruce. " Bruce come on, can't we just talk about this for a minute before you jump back into work" 

When Bruce remained silent, Harper was slowing losing her composure.  She knew Bruce was insufferable at times. But Jason deserved better. Bruce was testing her patience

" You know something Bruce. I understand this is hard but you can't do this. " Harper muttered as she approached the former crime fighting duo. " What was Jason doing studying chemistry? You know him, he wouldn't just suddenly dive head first into that"

" I don't know"

" Bruce he barely reads the back of a cereal box. " Dick questioned as he folded his arms, frustration eating him away.

" It doesn't matter guys. Jason's dead. There's nothing we can do now that will bring him back."

Harper grabbed his shoulder as she spun him around. Her arm trapping him as she stared at him with fire burning in her gaze. " You don't think we know that. You don't understand Bruce that you're not the only person affected by his death. We lost him too. We just want to figure out what happened. Now are you going to help us or not?"

Bruce stared blankly at her as Dick placed a hand on her shoulder and brought her back. She took a step away from him, not once did their stare on each other waver.

" You know, when Donna died you told us not to bury our emotions. To not experience our grief alone. It was good advice" Dick said.

" That advice was meant for you not for me"

Harper scoffed. He really was insufferable. " Stop shutting us out Bruce."

" Life goes on. We know that. " Bruce stood up from his seat as he brushed past them.

" Come on I'll make us some lunch"

Harper and Dick watched him leave before they looked at each other in question.

" Did he just say lunch?" Harper uttered confused as they faced the elevator.

" I'm just as lost as you are" Dick shrugged as they followed after him.