|24| 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚙𝚊𝚜𝚝 𝚊𝚕𝚠𝚊𝚢𝚜 𝚌𝚊𝚝𝚌𝚑𝚎𝚜 𝚞𝚙

" It's been a while since it was just us"

Harper's head turned slightly to the sound of his hushed voice. Her back laid rested against the headboard, her legs thrown out in front of her while the young green haired shape shifter sat beside her.

" Guess we've been too busy to have some alone time. To just talk" Harper murmured lightly as she stared ahead. Gar glanced at her briefly, her fingers playing with a loose thread of her bandage.

" Do you miss her?"

Harper's gaze softened, her heart lurching as she nodded gently.
" Yeah, I do. " A small smile played at her lips. " I wonder what she's doing right now. If she's okay. Does she miss us as much as we her. I also wonder if things would've been different had she stayed."

" It feels lonely" Gar had muttered as she turned to him. " Like without her everything is falling on my shoulders." He slumped and Harper took him in, really took him in. His bright green locks were ruffled in disarrayed curls around his head, dark eye bags mirroring hers and he looked just plain exhausted. A twinge of guilt gnawed at her when she realised she had neglected him over the few days. Ever since Jason, and then Hank she was so caught up in her own grief, she had forgotten about him. Gar had looked after everyone, yet who was looking after him.

Harper gently grabbed his hands and placed them in hers. " I'm sorry for leaving you to bare everyone's burdens alone. You needed time as well and you still put people first. I won't make that mistake again okay." she told him softly as he sniffled lightly. Realistically, Gar never really got time to process everything. It seemed as if Hank's death was just moved aside because yet again, they were thrown into another catalystic episode. He had been so focused with everyone else, all his emotions he pushed away began resurfing.

Before he could stop himself, a tear slid down his face and then another until his cheeks grew damp and Harper had pulled him into her arms. His head rested on her shoulder as she patted his back rhythmically, her calming reassurance filling his ears as he shuddered in her embrace.

" It'll fade. You'll get used to it and you'll become stronger. It's not easy Gar, I know. It's hard and it will be for a very long time but I'm here and I'll help you. " she consoled as she lightly moved him so he faced her. She wiped his tears as she placed her hands on his shoulders. " And Rachel will come back. You guys are inseparable. You'll always find each other."

Gar nodded as he stayed by her side until he had finally eased up. They had remained there for a while, finally catching up on time they had lost and feeling a sense of normality from back when everything was okay. It was her and Gar for a while, it had always been. It felt as if she was taking a trip through memory lane when he began talking about his plans to shift into other animals, how his saddened demeanour instantly brightened and she entertained the idea. They went back and forth. They were happy.