|4| 𝙲𝚕𝚘𝚜𝚞𝚛𝚎

Harper sat, her back resting against the foot of her bed as her legs curled into her chest. She stared at the wall, eyes void of life and the small puffs of air she breathed filling the silent room. It was tense, and it hurt. Beside her sat Dick, his arm wrapped around her shoulders in an almost blanket as he pulled her close to him. Her sadness bleeding into him. His other hand drew circles on her palm as her  panicked state eased.

" Harper" he spoke softly, his words careful and painful as if treading on broken glass. His heart was hurting, but she was hurting more. Harper made no move in responding to him,instead the twitch of her red rimmed eyes indicated that she was listening. " I'm going back to Gotham."

Harper turned her head lightly. His hand momentarily pausing in her palm. " I need to check on Bruce. I don't know what happened or how-"

" I'm coming"

She cut him off. Her voice hoarse from her grief as she returned back to her position. It was an order. Harper had to find out what happened. It had been eating her alive. How could Bruce let him do something so reckless? How did she not notice that something was wrong? She had been too lax, too preoccupied to have seen the signs. Had the night they called been an indication of his downfall? Could she have prevented it? Harper was torn and she wanted closure. But the man who held her answers was dead and his guardian, she wasn't so sure he would be fairing any better than she was.

" Harper you don't have to, you can stay with the rest" he said, concern swirling in his eyes as he looked at her. He brought her hand up and placed a gentle kiss to her palm, his fingers lacing with hers.

Harper shook her head as she pushed herself to her feet. Dick scrambled after her as she launched herself at her closet.

" Harper!"

" I'm coming Dick. I need this" she said as her back faced him. Dick nodded as he approached her. " I'll be ready in five. " he said as he rubbed his hands down her arms. Harper melted in his embrace as tears pooled in her eyes. She blinked them away as Dick placed a feather like kiss to her temple.

" Thank you" . Dick smiled at her before leaving her room, softly shutting the door as Harper frantically packed her bags. Her eyes hovering over the polaroid photo for the two of them. She bit her lip to stop them from trembling as her fists clenched by her sides.

She was going to get down to the bottom of things , and Harper was never one to give up.

" Where are you two going?" Ryder frowned as the rest of the Titans stood in the lounge. Harper had her duffel bag slung around her shoulder as Dick stood by her side with his matching bag.

" Going to see Bruce. Don't wait up" Dick said as he entered the elevator. Harper had shot them one last smile as the doors shut.

" How do you think they're holding up?" Harper asked as she held his hand. Dick pursed his lips as he looked down at her.

" To be honest, I'm not sure. Jason wasn't always mr sunshine but then again, he was family. They're just coping in their own way."

Harper sighed as she looked at him.      " We lost a lot Dick. We keep losing. "

Dick nodded solemnly. " I know. But things will look up again. They always do. I promise."

" Don't make promises you can't keep Dick. " Harper said as they exited the building and got into the car. Dick started the engine as they shared one last look at the tower before making their way to Gotham.

 Dick started the engine as they shared one last look at the tower before making their way to Gotham