|16| 𝙷𝚊𝚗𝚔 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝙷𝚊𝚛𝚙𝚎𝚛

" It's a gift" Hank gritted out as his eyes bored into Harper's " From our pal Jason."

" What?" Harper exclaimed as she looked at him. Hank sighed as he nodded dreadfully. Harper swore as she turned around, trying to control her anger.

Dick and Dawn carefully helped Hank to his feet, the man's face scrunched in pain as blood poured down his chest.

" You went to talk to Jason by yourself?" Dawn chastised as they laid him down on the operating bed.

" It seemed like a good idea at the time." he said as he clenched his jaw, trying to dismiss his pain. " Just give me a shot of whiskey and get the damn thing out."

Harper joined his side while they hooked him up to the machines, Gar and Kory coming down as they gathered around him.

" So much for wiping him out first chance get Hank" Harper said acerbically as she raised a brow. The man shot her a glare as Dawn stuck a needle in his arm.

" Now's not the time Harper" her brother grumbled as she moved to help him.

" You know I'd kick your ass for that." Hank said as she got him comfortable. " Looks like someone beat you to it. But you can, after we get this out of you."

" That an apology for earlier." he mused as she smiled sarcastically.

" We'll see. Just hold out for us." she said sternly as they hooked up his vitals.

" Conner, take a look inside and tell us what we're dealing with?" Dick instructed as the boy came forth. His eyes glowed as he used his x-ray vision.

" Woah" he breathed. " This is pretty bitching."

" Conner !" Dawn snapped. " Admire the tech another day Conner. What's going on?" Harper said as they looked at him.

" It has anti retraction barbs that hold the device in place. Looks like it's embedded in the pectoralis major, right through to the aortic arch."  he told them as he furrowed his brows.

" No part of that sounded good." Hank grimaced as he dropped his head back onto the pillow.

" The engineering is incredibly nuanced." He explained as he went to the table, drawing a layout of the bomb's mechanics with his superspeed. " The bomb's designed to tolerate insertion, not retraction. These barbs in Hank's chest, they have sensors. If those sensors detect too much force, it'll explode." he told them gravely as he showed them the drawing.

" What if we remove it surgically?" Dick suggested but Conner denied his alternative.

" Same outcome. Once activated, it's designed to kill."

" That fcking little shit" Hank said floored.

" This whole thing's engineered to read EKG signals. The countdown isn't seconds, it's the number of heartbeats he has left." Conner continued as the group grew even more anxious.