|11| 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙱𝚒𝚛𝚍'𝚜 𝙾𝚙𝚎𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚐

" So" Harper mused as she sat beside her brother on the couch, drinks in hand. " Did anything happen between you know who while I was away?"

" What makes you believe anything did happen?" Ryder dismissed as he avoided her prying eyes.

" I don't know" she shrugged. " Would've thought something would've occurred seeing how close you two have become."

He scoffed lightly as he brought his drink to his lips, his arms folded across his chest. " We were stuck babysitting for anything to happen."

Harper sat forward in excitement, a grin beaming from her face. " So you do want something to happen?"

Ryder's eyes widened slightly as she leaned in anticipation. " Well, you see-"

She noticed the faint blush crawling up his neck while his ears reddened.   " Hey, if you won't make a move, someone as gorgeous as she is won't be single forever " she prodded as he whipped his head to glare at her.

" Shut up" he hissed as she looked at him smugly. " You know it's true Ry. "

" We were heading somewhere before she went all trance inducing." he muttered as she perked at his words.

" What?" Harper exclaimed.

Ryder looked at her concerned frown as he placed his glass on the table. " Something's wrong with her Harper. And I don't think she even knows what it is."

Harper slouched in her seat as she tried to process his words. With everything going on this felt like a punch to the gut. Kory was one of the strongest women she knew, and if something was wrong, she was going to get to the bottom of it.

Harper opened her mouth to speak before she was cut off by Gar's excited cry.

" This is insane. Batman's actual books!" he chuckled in awe as he thumbed the spines as if it was made of gold.

" Harper look!" he said giddily as he held up one to them, waving it proudly. Harper nodded encouragingly as she raised both of her thumbs in agreement.

" What are you doing?" He questioned. They turned their attention to Conner who sat on the chair behind them, an open book on his lap as he built a sandwich.

" That's disgusting Conner" Harper cringed as he looked at them innocently.

" Don't put food on his books man!" Gar cried. '' Were you raised in a barn?"

Conner looked up at him, his cheeks puffed as he mumbled. " Test tube actually "

Ryder looked at his sister in disbelief while she merely nodded. His mouth dropped in awe as he looked at the Kryptonian.